Breed? Just plain EE? And what color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sigmachigirl, Oct 3, 2013.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Here is a picture of our then 5 month pullet Gracie. She just started squatting for me yesterday, so I know she's a she! Anyway, any thoughts on the breed and what color is she considered? I was told she was an Ameraucana, but I am guessing considering how hard it is to actually know that, that she's better defined as an Easter Egger?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's a very unique colored Easter egger hen--she's beautiful!

3. mixmaster

mixmaster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    That's a pretty common color of ameraucana. Not sure of the proper name but I would say blue silver duckwing

1 person likes this.
  4. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Thank you! I adore her. When I clean the coop daily, she comes in and watches me and talks up a storm. She's such a good girl. A spaz sometimes, but that just makes her more fun. We love her colors. Lovely blue, clay and rust colors!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have an ee hen that has the blue-ish tail end like your girl, but the base color is a little different. She's the only remotely blue bird I have in my flock, so I'm pretty sure she's the momma of this beautiful girl.
    [​IMG]

I was planning on culling the momma, but if she's going to give me chicks like this, she may earn a reprive!

One of the reasons I love Easter eggers--not only do you get colorful eggs, you get colorful birds.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, she's an Easter Eggers. Most hatcheries/stores/people mislabel Easter Eggers as Amerauanas--its very confusing! Pretty bird! I've never seen and Easter Egger colored like her.

7. mixmaster

mixmaster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    If you would like more birds like her try Meyers or Mt. Healthy hatcheries in Ohio.

1 person likes this.
  8. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Thank you! I got her from a local small breeder. :). I'll have to see if I can get any updated pictures. Or just better pics. AND She just laid her first egg for me this morning! (Happy dance!!) Gorgeous sea glass colored egg. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I will have to go look that up!! Thank you for your insight!

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Hmm. Actually, I got a bunch of EEs from Meyer this year, and none had any blue at all. All the ones I got from Murray McMurray had a lot of blue and red in them, however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by