Breed my pullet!

LaurenM23

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
King George, VA
Alright you smart folks! For your consideration, I offer my 21 week old pullet, Poulet. I was thinking Australorp, but she has recently developed the teeny tiny blondeish feathers on her neck. Just in front and no where else. Her feet appear dark on the underside. She has a great disposition and is very calm and trusting. I just
love.gif
this girl!

IMG_6255_edited-1copy.jpg

Thanks! I thought so at first...it was the logical combo of the breeds on the farm where she was purchased, but after sending photos to Penn State for analysis, the gentleman said no. Evidently, a Black Sex Link should have brown in the feathers? Whatever, it makes more sense than Austra to me too.

It depends on what breeds are used to make the Black Sex Link. If the father is a red bird, yes, there is a good chance that the BSL hen will have red or brown around the neck. Roosters other than red or brown will give different results.

I do not agree that it has to be a Black Sex Link. It could just as easily be a cross. If we knew what the breeds were on the farm and which were the possible rooster and hen parents, maybe we could say for sure. But not knowing anything else, I'll just say it is a cross. And with the black legs instead of yellow, I'd guess that Australorp has a better chance to be in her background than Barred Rock, though a Barred Rock could be in there somewhere too.

Herein lies the issue...what the heck was on that farm!?
gig.gif
I went in search of Dominiques, knowing very little about chickens at the time. I was sold eight "Dominique pullets". On the farm there were "Dominiques" and RIRs, kept in separate coops and runs. We were told that the black chicks were Doms and the yellow/golden were RIRs. Well, silly me knew nothing of comb types and never questioned the breeds. Stupid! I looked over the adults and saw healthy and happy birds.

Well...my Doms were really BRs, and those probably aren't the purest of all. Then this little lady stayed black, hence my contact with Penn State. THEN five out of eight of the barred babies were roos! haha I kept the one that had the best temperament and features and rehomed the others.

I am guessing that at least once, the RIRs weren't kept so separate from the BRs! haha Perhaps the BR roo covered a RIR hen? She has zero brown in her feathering. Just these little light tan/almost white feathers on the neck in front. The rest of her is the greenish/black. I really don't care, though, she's such a love!

Because of the leg color, I really don't think she is a BR and RIR cross. Those legs should be yellow, not black. I can't tell all that well from the photo, but her beak looks like it is maybe black with an ivory-colored tip. My Speckled Sussex Rooster over Black Australorp cross hens have that ivory tip on a black beak. I don't know how, but I think she probably has some BA in her background, based on general body configuration and leg color. Your right though. Regardless of her breeding, she looks like a nice hen. I would not mind having her.

I have even wondered if the guy didn't purchase her from someone else and throw her in the mix of chicks! Her legs are completely black, even feet, and her beak does have an ivory tip. She was the only chick of her kind, but I was so concerned about my chick-rearing abilities that I got the eight thinking that I might do something wrong and lose a couple. She was sort of an "extra", but she is my favorite! Ah well, Austra or BSL...she's my girl! Something about her says "great layer" to me. She just has that look! haha

I can't help you on her breed, but wanted to give you a thumbs up on your photo! I love this board, check it first and have learned a lot, and have come to really appreciate a nice picture. I know chickens aren't the easiest things to photograph, but some pictures you can hardly tell it's a chicken! Beautiful picture.

Back
Top Bottom