Is my pullet a cockerel? (possibly Austra White)

ananova

Chirping
Oct 5, 2023
I got 3 chicks from my son's kindy's hatching program. I did call the franchisee and asked what breeds they were and the only thing I remember is "usually Australorp, ISA Brown..."

The black one is easy. Cool. Australorp.

But this one is bigger than her sisters and has more prominent comb etc. Is she a he? :/

The earliest she could have been hatched is August 21. So 6-7 weeks old.

And what's the other mostly white one? She had more of a yellow head when it was down, not feathers. She has tiny black bits on her wings that you can see when she flaps them. So is she an Austra White?

I don't remember Leghorn or Austra White being mentioned in the conversation. She did say they were layers though.

dmkQIgb.jpg

7w5Gvlv.jpg

0eEb9xU.jpg

6ELOP8R.jpg

3JDOMOo.jpg

dsyw2WH.jpg

Yes, the one you think is a cockerel is a cockerel.
The white one looks more like a White Rock to me.
Well ... sh*t!

Thank you for looking.

Henny Penny Hatching was meant to take all the males and leave only females for families to take home 😭

They apparently don't take them after they've been with families due to contamination. How the heck do I re-home him?

How long do I have before he starts making noise and a neighbour complains?

Kind of funny I had trouble naming the third one, and it turns out she is a he.

And thank the gods it wasn't my son's favourite chick. He would be gutted.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to get 4 more (max six for my property size).

Well ... sh*t!

Thank you for looking.

Henny Penny Hatching was meant to take all the males and leave only females for families to take home 😭

They apparently don't take them after they've been with families due to contamination. How the heck do I re-home him?

How long do I have before he starts making noise and a neighbour complains?

Kind of funny I had trouble naming the third one, and it turns out she is a he.

And thank the gods it wasn't my son's favourite chick. He would be gutted.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to get 4 more (max six for my property size).
So sorry it ended up being a he.
For rehoming him, try posting in local chicken Facebook groups, or even Craigslist, things like that.
As for when he'll be crowing, its hard to say as it varies. I'll just guess he'll be crowing by 15 weeks old.

So sorry it ended up being a he.
For rehoming him, try posting in local chicken Facebook groups, or even Craigslist, things like that.
As for when he'll be crowing, its hard to say as it varies. I'll just guess he'll be crowing by 15 weeks old.
Poor fella. I hope he's not going to be sad that he has been removed from his home and his sisters :/.

Thank you for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom