Breed Science-- making a new breed.

Pics
You're in
in a completely different part of the world from OP. There is no way for birds from your home to come to their home so they can't use them for the project then.
I’ve already uploaded the image all he has to do is breed the Cornish with a rhodeisland red. It should basically be what he’s looking for.

The CornishX we have here are designed to self destruct around 8 weeks. It's often a struggle to get them even to 10 weeks of age
Do you mean the ones bought from the factory as obese sub adults. Or do you mean the ones that are 1 day old ? Because back here we don’t raise factory reared Cornish we just buy them as day old chicks. Because the ones raised in the factory can’t survive outside of it for long, except for 5% of them.

what if the breeding project is an owl and a chicken?
That’s impossible the breeding process is possible but there will be no embryo in the eggs to begin with. Owls are very distant from chickens they’re not even related only thing they have in common is that they’re birds. As for a chicken that resembles and owl. There’s a different method “selective breeding” we already have horned chickens and parrot faced chickens thanks to this process so yes an owl like chicken is very possible.

For a breeding project you will need:
  • A few pens/coops depending on what you are doing I would say at least 2 adult pens and one grow out one
  • A incubator or broodys, the broodys would mean you need a broody breed and pens for each one.
  • If you use an incubator you will need a large brooder, probably around 4ft by 2ft Depends on how many you hatch each batch
  • Lots of feed
  • Need to buy bedding of some sort, as well as feeders and waterers for each pen/brooder
I think you will probably have around 3 roosters/cockerels probably more then that if you mix a lot of breeds together.

You will need about 10+ hens maybe fewer but probably not.

You will probably incubate 12 eggs minimum each hatch

You need a plan for the cockerels and pullets you don’t want

Chicks and adults will die no matter how well you take care of them it will happen at some point, the more animals you have the more it happens, can you deal with that?

You need to do a lots of research in to not just chicken genetics but all chicken breeding.

Plan, make a solid plan of what you want in the breed, how many eggs? Broody? Meaty?

Think very hard if you actually want to do this it will take years, (you don’t need to awnser any of these questions they are just some examples of what you need to ask you self) what are your plans for education later? Will you even be in a position where you can keep chickens in a few years. will you parents pay for everything? If they won’t how will you afford it?

A lot of work and sadness goes in to breeding, I have not bred chickens but I breed mice, guinea pigs and quails. I could make a very long list of all the problems and sad things that have happened so far, I think I seem to run in to these problems more then other people but they still happen to other people.

Last edited:
Roosters are generally useless. No one wants them. They get eaten or dumped off on the side of the road somewhere. Most people can not have roosters because of the noise. Roosters often become aggressive and dangerous to people and are also killed for that reason. If you want a large rooster, look at the Jersey Giant. I assume you have not. It is the largest chicken in the world. It is also a rare chicken so if you raised them you would be helping to bring the breed back. The roosters of that breed are also, generally, very tame and friendly birds that stand close to 30 inches high.

Last edited:
Roosters are generally useless. No one wants them. They get eaten or dumped off on the side of the road somewhere. Most people can not have roosters because of the noise. Roosters often become aggressive and dangerous to people and are also killed for that reason. If you want a large rooster, look at the Jersey Giant. I assume you have not. It is the largest chicken in the world. It is also a rare chicken so if you raised them you would be helping to bring the breed back.
It's not the largest chicken in the world. The 3 foot tall brahma is, although they are rare. Roosters are fine in my area, the neighbors love a natural alarm clock!

It's not the largest chicken in the world. The 3 foot tall brahma is, although they are rare. Roosters are fine in my area, the neighbors love a natural alarm clock!
I guess it will depend on what website you look at for your information.

" The Jersey Giant is the biggest chicken in the world. Many people believe that the Brahma chicken comes in first– however, while some outstanding Brahmas can sometimes grow to be just as large, the Jersey Giant is slightly larger on average."

A neighbor has both black Giants and Brahmas. The Giants are much taller though some of the Brahmas seem to be just as fat and round and are probably close to the same weight.

Do you mean the ones bought from the factory as obese sub adults. Or do you mean the ones that are 1 day old ? Because back here we don’t raise factory reared Cornish we just buy them as day old chicks. Because the ones raised in the factory can’t survive outside of it for long, except for 5% of them.
No one here buys them from a factory already partially raised. They're all bought as day olds or at most week olds if a farm store doesn't sell out right away

My muscular, brave rooster is now in the freezer. He saw me as competition for the hens. I was sorry to see him go, but being attacked every day was not an option. Now my hens follow me like without being harassed.

Back
Top Bottom