breed/sex help please:)

The odds on the color chicks being pullets about 10%, they do miss a few.

White leghorn rooster, do have some meat on them. But it cost so much in feed to put that little bit of meat on them.

Leghorn pullet are the best at feed to egg ratio.

Keep one of the ee rooster,

Quote:
Not good for much of anything? What are you talking about !? They are excelent white egg layers.

Wow guess I should having been keeping the white leghorn roosters, no wonder I didnt know they were excelent white egg layers. I got rid of them at a few weeks old.

Do they lay at 6 months like pullets, or need to crow before laying???????

DH's cousin said he would take the white leghorn roos. How sure are ya'll that orange is a pullet? I might just go ahead and give him the red & purple one that I know are roos & wait on the orange one.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Yes in the pic. the orange may be a pullet if any of the color one are, the other two look like rooster

If your pullets were sold as sexed chicks, then you would have a 90% chance of them being pullets, but if they were straight run you could have 3 pullets, 3 roos, or a mix.

Leghorns are VERY easy to sex at about 5 weeks of age & up because of how fast the roo's combs grow. If you wait another couple weeks, you should know for sure how many roos you have and then you can get rid of all the roos at the same time. Maybe you can repost their picture each week until it's obvious.

DH said he should have the chicken tractor finished today. That should help with the fussing, don't you think? Or do chickens just have little squabbles anyway?

They color the white leghorn chicks, back even in 1955 was my first chicks, they alway sex them and that way could get a good price out of the cockrels for easter chicks. not very likely they would sell pullets for easter chicks. Or even straight run.

Yes they are easy to sex by their comb the older they get.

Beware buying colored easter chicks as almost all will be males, never in my 127 years have I seen them sell colored easter chicks, straight run or pullets.

Sears even gave them away for easter back in 1955.

Quote:
More room will help, but yes they will have little squabbles untill they set their pecking order, the rooster will be ok together for the first few months.

I thought I would update with more pictures. I am officially poultry obsessed
wee.gif

I am especially interested in the sex of the white leghorns, RIRs, and the ones I hatched.

New pictures (sure aren't babies long, are they?
hit.gif
)

Leghorns

leghorns.jpg

leghorns2.jpg

leghornspenny.jpg

leghornstrawberrymale.jpg

leghornorangeandblueberry.jpg

leghornblueberryandorange.jpg

RIRs

reds4.jpg

reds3.jpg

reds.jpg

ones I hatched:

shadow.jpg

babywehatchedshadow.jpg

shatter.jpg

EEers:

penny-2.jpg

hennypenny4.jpg

duck (was told the parents were purebred mallards... I hatched it

duckwingstretch.jpg

quail (coturnix?)

quail.jpg

pharaoh quail and black sex link

boughtquailandblacksexlink.jpg

And our English Game Hen who lays yummy eggs already
smile.png

oldenglishgame2.jpg

Tractor that needs the tractor to move it
wink.png

Untitled-112.jpg

DH is building a big coop for me this summer (he's a teacher) and probably another tractor or two
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom