Breed Standard?

Pics

Chicken_lady1

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2023
This is my son Sparrow, he’s a (as far as i know) purebred FBCM and I’m having a hard time deciding if his wings would fit into the breed standard; as far as I know they should be straight black? Anything helps, thank y’all!
IMG_4236.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
I’m having a hard time seeing the wing clearly in the photos.
E89838A5-4F5C-418F-BE7D-C7E1FE2F68A1.jpeg
this is a diagram of a chicken’s wing. When resting, the primaries (7,8) are folded under the secondaries (2,3,4) so you don’t see them.
On a BCM cock:
2 should be a rich dark red
3 should be iridescent black
4 should be iridescent black.
Like I say, I can’t tell in your photos but I think yours are correct.

Would you like a full breakdown on how your boy fits the French breed standard? I can see a couple of things you should be aware of.
Hope this helps.

I would be hesitant to use the word ‘impure’, I’d replace it with ‘poorly bred’. With chickens, unlike other livestock, pedigree is not that important, a bird’s breed status is based mostly on the conformity with the breed standard. With mammals, you know for certain the mother and usually you know the father because you only have one bull/buck/ram/etc…

With chickens, you often loose track, and ‘pure’ stock soon has foreign blood. With many breeders, this might go unchecked, but eventually be bred back to standard, so still get called ‘pure’.

A well bred bird can be impure but still show quality, a poorly bred bird can be tarnished by the foreign alleles.

But I agree that this cock is poorly bred: featherless legs, too red rather than copper, comb too big and too many points, tail too long.

I think he still has some quality traits though, and could be used to breed well bred birds with some hard work and feathered legged hens.

I’m having a hard time seeing the wing clearly in the photos.View attachment 3794056this is a diagram of a chicken’s wing. When resting, the primaries (7,8) are folded under the secondaries (2,3,4) so you don’t see them.
On a BCM cock:
2 should be a rich dark red
3 should be iridescent black
4 should be iridescent black.
Like I say, I can’t tell in your photos but I think yours are correct.

Would you like a full breakdown on how your boy fits the French breed standard? I can see a couple of things you should be aware of.
Hope this helps.
I’d definitely be willing to have a more in depth conversation with you, I was checking today and his wings match up with what you’re describing but i’m a hundred percent on board with learning more!

I would be hesitant to use the word ‘impure’, I’d replace it with ‘poorly bred’. With chickens, unlike other livestock, pedigree is not that important, a bird’s breed status is based mostly on the conformity with the breed standard. With mammals, you know for certain the mother and usually you know the father because you only have one bull/buck/ram/etc…

With chickens, you often loose track, and ‘pure’ stock soon has foreign blood. With many breeders, this might go unchecked, but eventually be bred back to standard, so still get called ‘pure’.

A well bred bird can be impure but still show quality, a poorly bred bird can be tarnished by the foreign alleles.

But I agree that this cock is poorly bred: featherless legs, too red rather than copper, comb too big and too many points, tail too long.

I think he still has some quality traits though, and could be used to breed well bred birds with some hard work and feathered legged hens.
Although it’s unfortunate to hear, i really appreciate this comment, i’ve been observing him today and some pictures from a bit ago (below) and I have to agree with you; even though there may be no awards in the future, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4259.png
    IMG_4259.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4258.png
    IMG_4258.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom