1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed suggestions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FlChickenMama, Jul 29, 2016.

1. FlChickenMama

FlChickenMama Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    Hey everyone, I'm new to BYC but I've been around chickens my whole life. I usually just buy whatever my local feed store has in the spring but I want something different this time. Something a little more rare. I currently have 3 Barred rock hens. they are 4 years old HUGE and pushy as hell. The biggest frequently chases my 2 year old. [​IMG]

I'm looking to add in about 5 or 6 more hens. I live in Central FL so a good heat tolerant variety would be great. I don't care about them laying tons of eggs or the color of the eggs. I more or less just enjoy watching them scratch around the yard and would like to raise a few really pretty varieties. They need to be able to stand up against Big Bertha (as we have dubbed her).

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. FlChickenMama

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    shameless bump

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Hi FLchickenmama, I have a young barred rock and hope she doesn't grow up to be pushy! Because I have a Rhode Island Red that's pushy. Anyway, I suggest you look at all the breed reviews, they're full of info, photos, advice, etc. There are forums on specific breeds as well. I love to go to county fairs and see the poultry displays and talk to all the chicken people. There are a lot of them here in July and Aug, I don't know about in FL, tho I used to live in Melbourne before my chicken days. Good luck!

4. FlChickenMama

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    Thank you those are good suggestions. Ill check my Ag extension and see if we are having any poultry shows soon. If not I guess I have to wait until our 4H and FFA have the fair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by