Breeding a CLB with pea or rose comb?

but my female hens don't look like that. they have really tight pea combs not the floppy ugly kind. Should I just ignore the drawing?
Does that mean pea comb is related to a single comb?

so confused

yeah, the drawing is just representative... I think I’ve seen a ‘primer’ on comb genetics that might help ... let me search real quick...

but maybe all that is over complicating it... if you cross pea x straight comb, you’ll get all pea combs

If you’re not looking to sell them or show them, then you can easily cross the pea combed EEs with a straight comb bird and expect to get all pea combed offspring... then just keep selecting for pea combs over the next generations

I have a CLB rooster I’m planning to cross with my homemade EEs as well.

Here’s a comb calculator you can mess around with as well:
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingFlex2.html?DATA=S;Comb calculator;Chicken;F;PICS/;JPG;,G;R;Rosecomb;;;,A;R;R;;Rosecomb;D;;;,A;R;r+;;non-rosecomb;R;;W;,G;P;Peacomb;;;,A;P;P;;Peacomb;D;;;,A;P;p+;;non-peacomb;R;;W;,C;RP;Rosecomb;Peacomb;Walnutcomb;;;,C;RP;non-rosecomb;non-peacomb;Single comb;;;,C;RM;non-rosecomb;;;;;,C;RM;non-peacomb;;;;;,C;NVL;;;Single comb;;;

@OhZark Biddies That's a really cool little calculator. I've also been experimenting with rose and v-comb crosses with my Cream Legbars, to minimize the comb & wattle size. Have you ever experimented with how v-comb (Duplex-V) interacts with Rose? I've found some literature on duplex combs and other literature on Pea combs, and how they interact with Rose combs, but never how Duplex + Rose combs are supposed to interact, except to say they're both dominant on different genes. I realize this is a little off topic. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but am very intrigued. I'm also in the Missouri Ozarks, BTW.

@OhZark Biddies That's a really cool little calculator. I've also been experimenting with rose and v-comb crosses with my Cream Legbars, to minimize the comb & wattle size. Have you ever experimented with how v-comb (Duplex-V) interacts with Rose? I've found some literature on duplex combs and other literature on Pea combs, and how they interact with Rose combs, but never how Duplex + Rose combs are supposed to interact, except to say they're both dominant on different genes. I realize this is a little off topic. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but am very intrigued. I'm also in the Missouri Ozarks, BTW.

nah, I’ve never looked at the comb genetics much past straight x pea... or straight x rose to be honest, but I prefer a pea comb.

I breed towards the very specific goal of creating “non show quality barnyard mutts”. So far I’ve nailed it every time 😉

I recently picked up a CLB cockerel from a family in Salem that had too many boys from their spring hatchery straight run chicks. So he’ll add some new genetics to my next generation of mutts this spring.

But I usually only keep a rooster for about half the year... and then raise a new one from my spring hatch ... so I’ll be back to a pea comb rooster this time next year.

Back
Top Bottom