Breeding Aseels

Pics
One of my aseel started pipping this afternoon at half way through day 19. I only have 4 eggs. If I end up with three healthy chicks I’ll be happy considering I’m only using these birds for crossing. Its not my intention to create any entire aseel flock from them.

Are aseels more likely to be inbred than other gamefowl? If so, would that explain possible fertility issues?

One of my aseel started pipping this afternoon at half way through day 19. I only have 4 eggs. If I end up with three healthy chicks I’ll be happy considering I’m only using these birds for crossing. Its not my intention to create any entire aseel flock from them.

Are aseels more likely to be inbred than other gamefowl? If so, would that explain possible fertility issues?
Fertility issue may be do to things other than infertility. Egg handling or settings in incubator. I make no claims to my skills with an incubator as still learning, now from someone that hatches thousands annually. I might know something of value on incubator use in another decade. I just took my first run with a GQF Incubator. I still have trouble turning it off properly.

Some lines may be inbred in a manner that impacts fertility. It can also impact other attributes not related to fertility such as size. Hen I was gifted comes from a line that lost size causing breeder to loose interest and give them away. The recipient outcrossed them with Gowdy Japs to restore size and vitality at expense of gaining attributes not consistent with Aseels. Those birds were line-bred back to the undersized pure Aseel making for a 7/8 Aseel x 1/8 Gowdy Jap keeping larger size and getting back to more what Aseels are supposed to look like. My stag comes from a pure Aseel line where size was not lost although feathering is rather nice for an Aseel. His family was selected under a colder climate where feather selection might have operated stronger for resistance to cold than what those at lower latitudes endure.

Could you post pictures of your Aseels?

I don’t have any yet. The 4 in the incubator were of 6 sonatol hatching eggs I bought from the Wahl farm out of NC. 1 had a detached air sack and 1 just never developed. 4 were developing after week 1 and I didn’t candle them after a week and a half, so I’m not sure what to expect. All I can say for sure is one chick has developed to the point of pipping. In maturity, this line is supposed to produce BBR cocks and black hens. My brother also has 6 in his incubator from Mr. Wahl but that line should produce red or wheaton hens. Between the two of us, if we can get 5-6 aseel to adulthood we’ll have all we need for our project.

One chick is out. No others of mine have pipped as of daylight this morning, which is the beginning of day 20. The chick appears to have a black body and yellow head.

3 of my brother’s have pipped. His are also due tomorrow.

Fertility issue may be do to things other than infertility. Egg handling or settings in incubator. I make no claims to my skills with an incubator as still learning, now from someone that hatches thousands annually. I might know something of value on incubator use in another decade. I just took my first run with a GQF Incubator. I still have trouble turning it off properly.

Some lines may be inbred in a manner that impacts fertility. It can also impact other attributes not related to fertility such as size. Hen I was gifted comes from a line that lost size causing breeder to loose interest and give them away. The recipient outcrossed them with Gowdy Japs to restore size and vitality at expense of gaining attributes not consistent with Aseels. Those birds were line-bred back to the undersized pure Aseel making for a 7/8 Aseel x 1/8 Gowdy Jap keeping larger size and getting back to more what Aseels are supposed to look like. My stag comes from a pure Aseel line where size was not lost although feathering is rather nice for an Aseel. His family was selected under a colder climate where feather selection might have operated stronger for resistance to cold than what those at lower latitudes endure.

I will send you pictures of my chicks when they will hatch

E9E12170-AB4F-40BE-941B-DDF8A8A2C875.jpeg
CC5CB0E7-6482-4367-B504-B6338B03B86E.jpeg
3D710348-EAC2-4C4B-BD26-A542251AB6AF.jpeg

I have 3, the 4th hasn’t pipped yet. My brother has 4 with a 5th pipping and the 6th unpipped. Due date is tomorrow. These in the pics are my three.

Florida Bulldog they look healthy... how exciting.

Here is how Kaiju and Meili are growing.

Kaiju

0AF6A480-6380-4A85-9DEE-1F5F3B309044.jpeg

Meili

187AB433-4105-41E8-90AC-DBC29A38FF5B.jpeg

They are definitely going to have different feather patterns... it will be interesting to see how they look as adults.

Below you can see reason stag was gifted to me as he is not a top of the line bird. The breeder has good eye for good birds which was kind of fun listening to him characterize each bird. From left he looks pretty good.
IMG_2020-06-05_19-51-14.jpeg
IMG_2020-06-05_19-51-35.jpeg

From right the flaw jumps out and bites you. Notice the gap in his wing. Evident when he got into a prolonged fight with a couple brothers get got an injury to the tissue holding feathers in proper alignment. Also two feather missing.

IMG_2020-06-03_20-11-36.jpeg
IMG_2020-06-03_20-11-38.jpeg
IMG_2020-06-03_20-13-49.jpeg

Top view OK.

Notice his eye color. I think I can get it back to pearly by cutting greens out of his diet.

IMG_2020-06-03_20-14-07.jpeg
IMG_2020-06-03_20-14-27.jpeg

Below you can see reason stag was gifted to me as he is not a top of the line bird. The breeder has good eye for good birds which was kind of fun listening to him characterize each bird. From left he looks pretty good.
View attachment 2179116View attachment 2179117

From right the flaw jumps out and bites you. Notice the gap in his wing. Evident when he got into a prolonged fight with a couple brothers get got an injury to the tissue holding feathers in proper alignment. Also two feather missing.

View attachment 2179118View attachment 2179119View attachment 2179121

Top view OK.

Notice his eye color. I think I can get it back to pearly by cutting greens out of his diet.

View attachment 2179123View attachment 2179126
Could you also show the close up of your hen. In what direction is her tail?

Back
Top Bottom