Windsong Farms

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2021
Will my Buff drake be able to breed my large Saxony hen? My buff drake is crested and I would love to have a crested duck that
16348409901862844179505754856965.jpg
resembles a saxony duck. My Buff drake is a good bit smaller than my Saxony hen. T h w saxony hwn is in the back and the drake is in front of her. The size difference is more than it looks in the image. I'm just wondering in he will be able to get the job don.
16348409901862844179505754856965.jpg

Will my Buff drake be able to breed my large Saxony hen? My buff drake is crested and I would love to have a crested duck that View attachment 2873713resembles a saxony duck. My Buff drake is a good bit smaller than my Saxony hen. T h w saxony hwn is in the back and the drake is in front of her. The size difference is more than it looks in the image. I'm just wondering in he will be able to get the job don.View attachment 2873713
In my experience, they'll breed with whoever they can catch! If you want to increase the likelihood of fertility then I would offer them a swimming pool and remove any other males from the pen.

Will my Buff drake be able to breed my large Saxony hen? My buff drake is crested and I would love to have a crested duck that View attachment 2873713resembles a saxony duck. My Buff drake is a good bit smaller than my Saxony hen. T h w saxony hwn is in the back and the drake is in front of her. The size difference is more than it looks in the image. I'm just wondering in he will be able to get the job don.View attachment 2873713
She's pretty! Where'd you get her from (If you don't mind my asking)?

Smaller drakes actually have an easier time mating. To increase fertility provide swimming water and don't let your girl get too fat. Trimming vent feathers help too.

She's pretty! Where'd you get her from (If you don't mind my asking)?

Smaller drakes actually have an easier time mating. To increase fertility provide swimming water and don't let your girl get too fat. Trimming vent feathers help too.
Thank you for the information. I didn't think about it being easier for the smaller drakes, not having the extra weight. I have several swimming pools for them. I have a lot of ducks. I've bred ducks before, but have never crossed breeds. I got her from Hoover Hatchery. I ordered 10 saxonys straight run and ended up with 8 drakes and w hens.

Thank you for the information. I didn't think about it being easier for the smaller drakes, not having the extra weight. I have several swimming pools for them. I have a lot of ducks. I've bred ducks before, but have never crossed breeds. I got her from Hoover Hatchery. I ordered 10 saxonys straight run and ended up with 8 drakes and w hens.
My Saxony are from Hoover Hatchery too! They're only babies right now though.

If the drake can catch her and/or if she let's him then yes he will breed her.

He should be fine just two weeks ago my Khaki Campbells hatched out a saxony khaki Campbell hybrid. But the difference was that well the khaki Campbell was the hen but I think he will do jist fine it might take a few extra tries though.

Back
Top Bottom