Breeding cage height question

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
I will build in future cage that looks similar to this and I was thinking is it ok if the height of single section is 50cm or 55cm. 2ft to me is not good because If I make it 2ft that equals to 180cm + room for cleaning trays(10cm x 3(legs on bottom)). It would be for standards.
20230116_173647.jpg

FWIW

I visited a breeder last week to pickup 5 Chantecler chickens; he hatches upward of 200 birds per year and has 15-20 pens/cages for various uses.

His breeding cages are 6' y 9' by 6'. He typically houses 5-6 birds in each cage during his breeding period (April/May mainly).

Last edited:
For small breeding cages suitable for a pair or trio, I put in a roosting bar that is high enough that they do not bump their comb every time they walk under it. Then the space above the roosting bar is high enough that they do not rub their comb on the ceiling. That makes the cage height 1.5 to 2 times the height of the standing bird. Three feet minimum for standard size birds and two feet minimum height for bantams.

Even better (in my opinion) is to give them enough cage height that they have to really jump/fly to get up to the roosting bar. It is about the only exercise they get in a little cage. But, construction costs are always an important factor too.

For small breeding cages suitable for a pair or trio, I put in a roosting bar that is high enough that they do not bump their comb every time they walk under it. Then the space above the roosting bar is high enough that they do not rub their comb on the ceiling. That makes the cage height 1.5 to 2 times the height of the standing bird. Three feet minimum for standard size birds and two feet minimum height for bantams.

Even better (in my opinion) is to give them enough cage height that they have to really jump/fly to get up to the roosting bar. It is about the only exercise they get in a little cage. But, construction costs are always an important factor too.
I would free range them every day for around 1h. I've seen some people also have those tunnels and they are pretty low in height.

Well, I don't really know, australorps and leghorns and maybe polish If I find good quality.

My Australorp rooster is about 18" tall -- 45 centimeters. He stretches to at least 2 feet when crowing.

That's an excellent way to work out what's needed for specific situations.

I would free range them every day for around 1h. I've seen some people also have those tunnels and they are pretty low in height.

That would defeat the purpose of separating them into breeding groups since they would mate outside their group while ranging.

Back
Top Bottom