Breeding Ducks?

FarmerBoy24

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Moreno Valley Ca
I have a Trio of Muscovie ducks. I have had them for about 3 to 4 months, I am not getting fertile eggs from them. I wanted to know do ducks only breed in water, because I have a tote like thing not big enough for 2 ducks to be in at one. should I get one of those kitty pools?

My ducks never breed in water. They always breed out of the water. However, I do have kiddie pools for them.

So far this year, my muscovies have hatched about 72 ducklings. They should be fine.

Last edited:
You said that you have had them for 3 or 4 months. How old are they? Your original post didn't say that they weren't breeding. You mentioned that the eggs weren't fertile. Maybe your male is not interested in the females just yet?

Your problably right. well one of the female ducks was laying but she'd broody now. The other hen isn't laying yet. The drake is the same age. so I guess I need to wait. Thanks

I'm sure they will catch on to what they are supposed to be doing "breeding". Your male may be playing hard to get.
big_smile.png

He will come around and bring the girls some flowers and begin his courtship.
lol.png

Good Luck.

Quote:
Yup. I'm sure he's a drake because he is WAY bigger then the girls and he has his comb and wattle thing growing faster.

Hey FarmerBoy... The "comb & wattle thing" is called caruncles
smile.png
. Are your birds at least 5 months old? You can tell by the caruncle development - if your drake has caruncles mostly covering his face he's probably old enough. Of course, the girls may be giving him the brush off.

If you take away her eggs your broody girl will probably give up and start laying again. It'll take a bit for her to decide that she's not setting anything tho.

Back
Top Bottom