Breeding for colour

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I was considering breeding some Mallard coloured Indian Runners, by breeding a white runner duck to a Mallards Drake then continuing to breed the offspring back to more white runners. I was just wondering if that can be done that way?

Also, I may also get some white call ducks to breed with my Mallard Calls for type.

Yes, that will work :) Your first gen cross would be all mallard colored. However, they will all be split to white, so when breeding them back to white runners, you'll get 50% mallard split to white and 50% white.

And eventually you'll have to work on breeding the white out so as to not get unexpected white ducklings down the line.

Yes, that will work :) Your first gen cross would be all mallard colored. However, they will all be split to white, so when breeding them back to white runners, you'll get 50% mallard split to white and 50% white.

And eventually you'll have to work on breeding the white out so as to not get unexpected white ducklings down the line.
What does split to white mean?
Also, what I may do is get 2 white runner ducks and pair them to two different Mallard drakes. Then after a some generations I’ll breed the two lines together.

What does split to white mean?
Also, what I may do is get 2 white runner ducks and pair them to two different Mallard drakes. Then after a some generations I’ll breed the two lines together.

Split to white means they'll be carrying white - white is a simple recessive in mallard derived ducks. If they inherit two copies, they will be white, no matter what other color genetics they have going on.

I’m now getting a blue fawn call duck, so I’m wondering if I were to cross her to my natural mallards what that’ll produce, as well as breeding a Cayuga to a natural Mallard as well. Thanks and sorry for so many questions @Pyxis

No worries, I don't mind answering :)

Blue fawn to mallard will yield 50% blue fawn and 50% mallard.

Cayuga to mallard will yield all black bibbed ducklings.

What colours are these call ducks? I’m going to be experimenting with colour in my Mallard and call flock so I’m interested if whether I should buy some.

9287ED61-A751-4819-885F-E448A33BA8B9.jpeg
C9B079BC-79B7-4A1E-AF23-F31E7D0C500B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom