BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

This is an interesting discussion.

Most that reject the concepts of alpha training outright tend to have concerns that are grounded in an ideology. They would often equate asserting ourselves as a negative, and somehow harmful to animals. I will admit that some carry it to far, but it would be easy to miss an important block in the foundation. It is foundational.

I agree that this can transfer to many parts of life. I am a firm believer in corporal punishment for children, and particularly young boys and men. I am convinced that someone has to be in charge. If we will not be, they will.

Now I am not referring to abusive behavior towards man or beast. I will put it this way. My sons are teenagers. It is has been years, probably 7-8 years since any physical contact has been necessary. And we enjoy a peaceful home. We are consistently complimented on our well mannered, behaved, and thoughtful young men. Even that much of that is in spite of me, much of it is due to being raised in a home that had expectations and accountability. They have been comfortable enough to flirt with the line here and there, but they knew by the sound of a voice where too far was. They also understood that I decided where the line should be. We never corrected for honest mistakes, but we dealt with matters of character head on and without fear. BUT, what makes all of this work is trust. I would absolutely never want to see a fearful dog or child. My boys need to be able to trust in how much they are loved. They need that assurance. It is necessary.

So to avoid communicating the other extreme, there needs to be a balance. Alpha training is not all of it. It is part of it. As we all would agree.

Bee, society in general views any difficulty as bad and to be avoided. We have forgotten that gold is refined in a fire. We want a problem free everything to include a problem free faith. We live in the health and wealth society. We want a health and wealth faith to. This is to say that this worldview envelopes everything. We live in a me first society, and therefore everything revolves around me. I am the center of my own universe. I am my own morality, and if something makes me uncomfortable, it is determined to be bad. So an extension of that view is that I do not want to make anyone else uncomfortable, even at the expense of that person or animal. We have lost our moral compass, and we have lost that clarity and certainty.

Another point we are missing in all of this is the hollowness that is inevitable when suffering, sorrow, and disappointment do finally come. When the harsh realities of life do come, we are consumed by them. Sun melts the ice, and it hardens the clay. Often what seams good is bad. Concerning my character, winning the lottery would be very bad. Also concerning my character, my house burning down and losing everything in it could be very good, if it brings me back to the things that do matter.
I am trying to describe what we have lost (as you know). We used to understand that correction was necessary and that it was good. That trials and temptations produced wisdom, character, and patience. But . . . . we also trusted. Trust is an essential piece. We have made it all about me, and eventually we see that me is not enough. Me cannot control everything in me's universe.

And Bee, I have noticed that these have trouble with all animals and people to. I see them foolishly thinking that their ideology really works in real life. LOL. They are so removed from reality, and self centered that they cannot see past their own nose. These are all online trying to understand the problem, and when you share the simple clear truth with them, they are offended. You become the bad guy, because it is more discomfort on top of discomfort. It is salt on an open wound.

As a people we are on a slippery slope. All it will take to destroy us is our own weight.

When we are actually breeding, and we are breeding birds that are a sum of their parts, there is a lot to sort through. Hypothetically, we have a pullet that has this particular strength. On that specific point she is stronger than the best bird you have. A breeder is looking how to strengthen that point in his or her line. This may mean doing this or doing that. Breeders have always done this, and from hundreds of years ago. How do I strengthen this trait? How do I introduce this trait (no line or strain has it all)? When and if you get into the "meat of it", there becomes a lot to consider. There is a lot to consider. If one wants to keep it simple and merely perpetuate what they have, there is nothing wrong with that, but it is not breeding for improvement.

And if we are finished culling now, then we are missing a lot. I have reduced myself to my winter pullets, and the cockerels that I will hold over. Culling is on going however. We should be evaluating hens, and not pullets. Proving cocks.

A hen is not fully evaluated until her pullet year is through and into that next spring. Not as a pullet in her first fall. Now you prove her. She is only beneficial if she contributes her desirable characteristics to her offspring. In this respect, one hen is better than another. A cock is not fully evaluated until his offspring are evaluated, after he has been bred as a cock.

Many of the traits that we concern ourselves with are not visible. We have to "prove" their existence. This is a necessary part.

If we are interested in the longevity and survivability of our birds, we do not merely replace pullets with pullets. We breed cocks and hens. Not cockerels and pullets. We breed cocks and hens that have been proven by their offspring, and continue to emphasize them until they die, are no longer functionally fertile, or they have been replaced by something better. If a proven cock is still producing 50% fertile eggs at five years old, and produces birds as well as anything else that you have, then I assure you that he is the most valuable bird on the farm.

We complain about the longevity of commercial production strains that by default are not bred for longevity. Then we repeat the same process with our own birds.

Breeders are most concerned with the survivability and longevity of their line. There is nothing more important than health and vigor. Health and vigor is proven with the passing of time. The evaluation on this point has only begun in their first fall.

Culling is not that simple. It is an ongoing process that never ends. Over the course of a pullet year, and into the first spring as a hen, we should be evaluating who that year's breeders should be.

This is not taking a trip to "Build a Bear". This is a long term project that requires patience. There are numerous things to consider and we are always considering. Always looking. Always evaluating. Always culling. Always mentally setting up breeding pens, and pairs, and trios etc. Even for flock mating, we are always scheming. We never quit learning a bird or birds. We have a pretty good idea what we MIGHT have in their second spring. Then we prove them worthy or unworthy by their offspring.

We have only begun evaluating birds in their first fall.

Last edited:
My "management system" is a work in progress, with hard limits imposed by the size of my store-bought brooder, (holds 25 four-week chicks,) and our appetite for home-grown chicken, (50 grown birds/year.) The soft limits are my husband's willingness to donate labor and my own free time/money/energy. My tiny flock is now large enough to use the mating system where a cockerel is put over hens, and a cock over pullets, with an extra cock who threw some chicks last year that really packed on a lot more flesh at earlier ages. We don't need more than 6 laying hens for the 2 of us.

It has occurred to me that culling Cornish-game-hen-sized juveniles would increase the number of chicks my system can absorb, as would selling cull pullets. (I have tried giving away extra birds, with unsatisfactory results.) This year I am strongly considering culling ~50% of the pullets and 90% of the cockerels at 8 weeks, and focusing primarily on egg production until egg size/shape, winter laying, and early POL/rapid molting are well set in my flock. I could also improve early weight gain in both sexes. As my husband constructs more mobile tractors, (aka grow-out pens,) I can select for more of the later-manifesting traits. I hope that selling cull POL pullets will be more gratifying and cost-effective than gifting them.

Angela
Hi Angela,

I've found that giving farm products away is... less than satisfying. Those people want you to kill, dress, and cook the chicken on the night they want to eat it, or it will sit in their fridge and rot. Sorry to sound so negative but people only seem to appreciate things they pay a lot for. I've also learned not to give bargain prices on my farm products. People looking for a bargain will tell you what's wrong with it to try and get it cheaper. People who pay a high price thank you for your effort and commitment to local farming. Based on that I quit putting signs in front of my farm and on my truck years ago. Invariably anyone who drops by out of curiosity wants two hours of my time for free. Most of my customers come from LocalHarvest.org where they can search for local farms by zip code. I have built up an e-mail list of over 1600 people over the last 10 years and probably half are from that website. You can make a page for you farm there with pictures and descriptions of what you have and how you sell it. I think I pay $25 a year for the service, and it has paid for itself thousands of times over. There are people within a mile of me with a sign in their yard selling eggs for $3/dozen, but I charge $6 and am raising my price in May. My beef and pork bring top dollar as well, but almost none of my customers are neighbors/friends. Real customers find me on the internet. On the very rare occasion I get "price negotiators" anymore they are immediately dropped from my mailing list, and I write "black ball" in front of their name in my address book, so I know not to respond to further contacts. But again I'm sorry for the rant... I guess I'm just touchy about people who want Champagne for beer prices... oh forget that... they want it for free!
Anthonuy

"Despite the industry pointing its finger at the wild birds, it's just not there," said Michael Osterholm, who directs the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. "It was not the source of widespread transmission to many operations throughout the Upper Midwest."

Osterholm said there are a couple of holes in the waterfowl theory.

Backyard poultry flocks should have been hit hardest because those birds were most exposed to migrating waterfowl. Instead, those birds were largely spared, he said. ...

as Saturday's anniversary of the first outbreak approaches, the source of the disease remains a mystery, and fissures are forming in the alliance that battled the virus a year ago.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/03/01/bird-flu-outbreak-mystery

I've had all I can stand. There will be NO MORE nonsense like we have all tolerated for the past several days. I realized a certain person was quite young and tried to ignore most of the silliness..BUT it's clear that valued members of long standing are being forced to their medicine cabinets...so again...

NO more of this BS...

Hi folks. Jason tells me he will not be posting on dad's account again but may post on his own at some time in the future. I don't want the demented rabbit to disappear from the dad's thread so I'm thinking of altering it and using it as my avatar.

Thanks to all for the kind postings about dad. The whole family appreciates the friendships that dad has made on BYC and I guess it's too bad for the ones he PO'd. He enjoyed this forum more than anywhere else he visited on the web.

Last edited:
So I am now the adoptive mother of a single baby Gambel Quail rescued by one of my egg customers. The poor little thing can't be more than a day old and is the lone survivor of an attack on the nest. This is my first quail...and it's sooooo tiny! Just when life begins to feel routine someone always throws me a curve ball.
smile.png

Last edited:
I know we aren't supposed to talk politics but after yesterday's results.......I guess it would have been the same either way but, well, those of you who want to move North, you are more than welcome here !
hugs.gif

But bring your chickens, some breeds are tough to get this side of the border.

I hate to throw this thread off track as it is one of the last few good ones. So Mods please delete my post/s if it breaks rules, not the thread.

With that said, what happened to this site? Used to be good discussion about real chickens that produced eggs and meat. Now it seems every thread is about a "roo" who doesn't sit on shoulders or "attacks" a pullet.

I'm grateful BYC has grown, but I don't see the growth as beneficial to the fowl that we and Hellbender loved so much. Many of the knowledgeable people who used to frequent this site seem to be gone. It is nice to see that a few are still around.

Even the warning when heading to the SOP ,Genetics, warning is gone. No longer are people being educated on nomenclature when they post in there.

So Anyway, I am glad to see this thread going, along with Bob's thread. Yet, so much has been lost.

Back
Top Bottom