ChloeSilkie08

Crowing
Sep 10, 2020
Arkansas
Hello everyone! I haven’t been on here in awhile so excuse me if I missed something, but I just got 5 paints for breeding. I have 1 rooster and 4 hens at the moment. I do not know what their lineage is but I can ask the breeder if need be. What I need to know is what will happen when I breed my paint rooster to my other non-paint hens.
I have:
Buff
Recessive white
Black
Splash
And what I believe to be red pyle

What happens when I breed him to these? I hatch out pet quality silkies for people who don’t want to spend as much on purebred and I need to be able to tell my customers what they’re getting.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 40F2FB29-4B34-4AB0-BC3A-4A20BF3EE7F4.jpeg
    40F2FB29-4B34-4AB0-BC3A-4A20BF3EE7F4.jpeg
    984.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 7785BFBB-C063-484C-ADF8-DFE5E568B058.jpeg
    7785BFBB-C063-484C-ADF8-DFE5E568B058.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 31
  • BDD714C4-B2D5-4576-AFFB-7AFE4148FAB8.jpeg
    BDD714C4-B2D5-4576-AFFB-7AFE4148FAB8.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 31
  • B56396DB-D5EA-49B4-858A-276B0CA7A05D.jpeg
    B56396DB-D5EA-49B4-858A-276B0CA7A05D.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 47
Hello everyone! I haven’t been on here in awhile so excuse me if I missed something, but I just got 5 paints for breeding. I have 1 rooster and 4 hens at the moment. I do not know what their lineage is but I can ask the breeder if need be. What I need to know is what will happen when I breed my paint rooster to my other non-paint hens.
I have:
Buff
Recessive white
Black
Splash
And what I believe to be red pyle

What happens when I breed him to these? I hatch out pet quality silkies for people who don’t want to spend as much on purebred and I need to be able to tell my customers what they’re getting.
Thanks so much!
Buff x - paint with gold leakage or black with gold leakage
Recessive white x - depends on what’s under the recessive white
Black x - 50% paints and 50% blacks
Splash x - 50% blue paints and 50% blues
Red pyle x - Depends on the genetics of the red pyle

The red Pyle was a white or splash roo over a recessive white hen I believe

Paint Silkie Breeding chart.
Screenshot_20211127-121834_Chrome.jpg

That chart doesn't make much sense. Paint, itself, is kind of a 'split'; it's caused by dominant White split to Black, or in other words one copy of dominant White on an otherwise Black bird. You could maybe make the argument for White split because some Paints have little to no 'paint spots', but Black split? And if that is what they mean by White split, then that's not what you'd get from crossing two 'White split' birds. 🤔 Not accurate info at all.

As for the original question, I agree with this assessment of what you'll get. True Red Pyles are usually dominant White over Red Duckwing, though some are Splash Red Duckwing as well, and some White birds with Red leakage can look pretty convincingly like Red Pyle as well, so without knowing which your bird is, it's hard to give conclusive answers there.

That chart doesn't make much sense. Paint, itself, is kind of a 'split'; it's caused by dominant White split to Black, or in other words one copy of dominant White on an otherwise Black bird. You could maybe make the argument for White split because some Paints have little to no 'paint spots', but Black split? And if that is what they mean by White split, then that's not what you'd get from crossing two 'White split' birds. 🤔 Not accurate info at all.

As for the original question, I agree with this assessment of what you'll get. True Red Pyles are usually dominant White over Red Duckwing, though some are Splash Red Duckwing as well, and some White birds with Red leakage can look pretty convincingly like Red Pyle as well, so without knowing which your bird is, it's hard to give conclusive answers there.
It was the only chart I could find for paint.

But yeah, there are White, & Black Splits, & breeding paints to black is supposed to create better patterned paints.

Uhhh, no, there's no such thing as a 'Black split' with Paint. A lot of people, when Paint Silkies first came into popularity, thought there was a 'Paint gene' and spread a lot of misinformation about that, but the truth is that there is no such gene. It's simply the effect of a single copy of dominant White on Black, as has been seen in hatchery egg laying hybrids, and in Erminettes, since long before the Paint Silkie became popular.

Back
Top Bottom