Breeding pen pics

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
So I’m probably going to start a breeding project involving a few different breeds and colors and I don’t like the idea of breeder cages. I want my chickens to have a small coop and run for each breed/color. I’ll be using an old barn so I was thinking of building a row of wire framed coops along one side with a attached run for each coop. The question I have is does anyone use or have a setup similar to this and do you have any photos you could share. I’m also wondering how well this will work. If you could post any pics or share any insight It’d be extremely helpful, thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have always liked you breeding pens and always look at your site to check in. I really want this new coop though. It would be prefect for a little store offering chicks and I will defiantly build some of those conditioning pens like yours.

Also see this link for some good breeding pen pictures as well: http://gff.cochinsrule.com/coops.htm

Last edited:
Nice coops. I cant wait to see some more updates pictures. I always like raised pens because they are easier to clean out or you can just add wire to to bottom. The problem here is the cold weather, 80mph wind and rain!

Here is mine. I have a green house that I attached a chicken house on the end of then I extended the roof 8' past the building and built 4 8X8 breeding pens under the eave. Each pen is large enough for 1 Araucana roo and 3 hens and their babies. They are dry and easy to clean. The side are wire for ventilation. It almost never gets below freezing here so it works all year.

Breeding Pens

19098_breeding_pens.jpg

My broody boxs are in a room off the hen house and I can easily divide them for 4 hens on eggs or leave them open and have two pens for babies.

19098_brooder_box_1.jpg

Lanae

Wow great coops and pens you guys. Its been really helpfull, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do. I'll post pics in the future if it turns out well. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom