Breeding Pens for Birds with Feathered Feet

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
I keep my D'uccles in Pairs and Trios and i want to create a small pen/tractor for them but i don't want it to ruin their foot feathering. Does anyone have any ideas/planns?

I'm sure you'll get alot of different opinions....but I'm partial to shavings. The pooh seems to "clump" in the shavings instead of getting embedded in the feet feathers, and even if it does, it's easier to pull out.

Also, I haven't noticed any foot feather breakage with the shavings; which is an added bonus.

Plus, my birds are still able to take "dust bathes" in the shavings.

In small areas with the shavings, I can use a kitty litter scoop to do a daily clean up

Well, I didn't do anything special but I have two fancy roos at the moment along with three un fancy roos and two unfancy hens (i know, I know) but, here is my coop!
61209_the_chicken_coop_-_another_point_of_view.jpg

bigsprings~~I've never noticed mold developing in the shavings when they get damp or rained on. Maybe it's because the girls stir the shaving around so much....I don't know.

I am by no means a expert, but I think it depends, are you conditioning them for show? If so most people keep them off the ground on thick shavings (4-6 inches). If they are just pets, I dont think foot feathering is that important. I think you can go to www.silkiesbygeorge.com and look under coop, there are some pens on there. Hope it helps.

Candace

Back
Top Bottom