Breeding Preferences

I have some serama that I'd like to breed to the SOP. I also have some mix breed bantams, those do what they want. The last "breed" I work with has no set standard, so I kind of chose for what is more desirable for me

I want happy healthy birds, so I trust their instincts and let them decide for themselves. The health and vigour of such home bred birds is notable (in contrast to purchased hatching eggs of several SOP standard pure breeds that I've tried). And I think some of them look just as beautiful as the pure breeds in the flock. E.g. this Isabella Leghorn x Partridge Penedesenca
Fez 28 wks laying and leghorn comb.JPG

As it happens, this one was incubated alone and raised outdoors 24/7 for her first 6 weeks by a broody with a secret nest, so her resilience is proven. She also started laying without issue - and thankfully she lays in the nesting boxes in the coops, following the dominant roo's patient advice to her!

I have some serama that I'd like to breed to the SOP. I also have some mix breed bantams, those do what they want. The last "breed" I work with has no set standard, so I kind of chose for what is more desirable for me
I also have bantams, OEGB, I hope to one day breed to SOP, they are small and good feathering but do not all have the proper leg colors. So for the time being we are going to breed what we have and enjoy them, they bring lots of past time and pleasure.

I breed Belgian d’Anvers to the Standard of Perfection.
I have a question for you, I spoke with the breeder we got our bantams from, they said they were breeding a Self Blue rooster to Brown Red hen and getting Self Blue and Brown Red chicks, wouldn't the hen have to have the Self Blue gene to have chicks that were Self Blue and Brown Red or not?

I want happy healthy birds, so I trust their instincts and let them decide for themselves. The health and vigour of such home bred birds is notable (in contrast to purchased hatching eggs of several SOP standard pure breeds that I've tried). And I think some of them look just as beautiful as the pure breeds in the flock. E.g. this Isabella Leghorn x Partridge Penedesenca
View attachment 3732568

As it happens, this one was incubated alone and raised outdoors 24/7 for her first 6 weeks by a broody with a secret nest, so her resilience is proven. She also started laying without issue - and thankfully she lays in the nesting boxes in the coops, following the dominant roo's patient advice to her!
I like your approach to breeding, happy and healthy is most important and enjoyment is a plus, your girl is pretty.

I have a question for you, I spoke with the breeder we got our bantams from, they said they were breeding a Self Blue rooster to Brown Red hen and getting Self Blue and Brown Red chicks, wouldn't the hen have to have the Self Blue gene to have chicks that were Self Blue and Brown Red or not?
Correct. The chicks would just be black.

Back
Top Bottom