Breeding Projects -- Waterfowl

Quote:
5 yrs to be specific.
smile.png

Quote:
5 yrs to be specific.
smile.png

And I have to hatch ducklings EVERY year to do so?
ep.gif
ill be around 20 when I can call them my own
th.gif

Quote:
And I have to hatch ducklings EVERY year to do so?
ep.gif
ill be around 20 when I can call them my own
th.gif

Well, if you do good, it's well worht it. {ahem $$}
smile.png

lol.png
yes it is!

Quote:
lol.png
yes it is!

And, I should clarify. It's actually 5 generations. (which is usually five yrs.)

So wait. I need to hatch ducklings and keep some every time for five years? If thats the case I will never have my own lines
sad.png

Quote:
Reggie (Larry's father) was half Magpie and the other half is clove, a Welsh Harlequin/Khaki Campbell cross. Clove has a wild type gene in there too, which is surprising in a Wh/Khaki cross, but those were the only two ducks my friend had.

Clove:

springtime001.jpg

I'm not sure why Reggie was so big and I have his son, Ringo, to work with now - actually I'm not so sure what Ringo's mother was, but his father was Reggie for sure, he looks exactly like Reggie, but a bit bigger and with more white on his belly. I suspect maybe one of the Saxonys. Ringo came out of a bunch of rather random fertile eggs I gave a friend.

I had Larry's sister for a while, she was Appleyard in color pattern, but the color itself was only red and white. She was very pretty as a baby, but washed out in the summers a lot.

I'm curious to try the cross of Ringo (blue and white drake, Reggie's son) to my Appleyard girl, Rosie, this spring to see what happens. I'll probably put Ringo with my Appleyard/Saxony cross girl too, who looks like a dilute Appleyard (all the blue is blue) with more of a Saxony shape. I do have pictures of Reggie's (the blue and white drake) parents and Larry's (blue Appleyard drake) sister. I think it will be fun to keep a photo pedigree of what I breed.

Quote:
Thats a really unique pekinXrouen cross
I had these... a gray hen and a black and white drake.
34098_100_1074.jpg

Better one of my hen:
34098_justin_013.jpg

And what I got out of the outcome of colors were:
Black and white:
34098_1029111657_0001.jpg
(the back hen)
Dusky:
Daughter and dad
34098_justin_011.jpg

and the gray:
34098_justin_028.jpg

Heres a few more pictures of the duskies:
34098_100_1487.jpg

34098_100_1489.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
5 yrs to be specific.
smile.png

ok so what if you introduce a new hen for new blood. do you have to start over? if not i have 1 more year and ill have my own strain of mixed:)

Quote:
5 yrs to be specific.
smile.png

ok so what if you introduce a new hen for new blood. do you have to start over? if not i have 1 more year and ill have my own strain of mixed:)

I believe if you introduce new blood, the line is no longer pure and the 5 yrs (or gen. whichever comes first) starts over.

Back
Top Bottom