Breeding Projects -- Waterfowl

I have a trio of Anconas I am waiting on to start laying (and who are quite busy practicing their mating techniques the last few months).

I would like to breed my very solidly built boy to some great layers and really maximize the DP potential of the breed while maintaining Holderead's standards for the breed. But, what I wonder is, if their eggs look the same, how do you know which girls are the best layers?

(I also have placed my order for some Anconas from Boondockers Farm, I am splitting a shipment with a friend, 10 for me, 5 for her. They won't lay right off, but my black hen has some buff coloration on her head, and will be predominantly used as a layer hen - I am a baker by trade & prefer the duck eggs for my purposes, so I don't mind having a breeding pen & a laying pen.)

I have plans for a big renovation of the duck house in March, and the new ducklings come in May. I will have 2 pens for the ducks - a layer & breeder pen - that can be combined into one once breeding season ends, so the ducklings can brood right next to the existing ducks from day one. I spoke with my "contractor" today, (my sort of FIL) and they are putting in electric & some great gravity fed watering systems for me, so outside brooding will be easy as pie (and I will be in on all the work & will know how to do it myself next time). It will also have a broody wing that can house 2 broody ducks at a time, if need be.

Quote:
It's quite possible that she's part harlequin, she could have been Dusky, which is the only trait the Harlequin could have passed on to her... And it would look DARK. Did she have no facial stripes?

Maybe I'm confused about your answer, but.........

Your "rouen" could have been part harlequin (or appleyard) and could have passed it on to her offspring. If the dad-pekin also had the same gene, then it makes sence that it would show up in your female.

I don't see any dusky in your duck. And if mom rouen duck looked exactly like a rouen, then most likely is not dusky, though could be a recessive carrier. The eye stripes are very pronounced in your duck, and dusky would hide the eye stripes.

A few years ago I was working on White Mallards, Crested Pekins (breeding for huge crests), Crested Blue Swedish (huge crests), Crested Blue/Black/Grey Runners, and Crested Calls & Crested Black East Indies. Then I had to severely downsize, so now I am working in my line of SQ Butterscotch Calls.
big_smile.png

Here are the fruits of my labor in the past:
CrestedBEI.jpg

CrestedCall004.jpg

CrestedCall1.jpg

CrestedPekinHen2.jpg

a357d638.jpg

7cd7d4ed.jpg

e0f4e3e0.jpg

9c7765e7.jpg

0dc943bb.jpg

64f16350.jpg

6d448cae.jpg

9ff096fa.jpg

Mrs.jpg

cbs5.jpg

babymrspuff2.jpg

Jimi2.jpg

Jimi.jpg

White Mallard
wmhen02.jpg

Tribble001.jpg

butch02.jpg

marge02-1.jpg

b8.jpg

000_4422.jpg

ducks03.jpg

brownduck7.jpg

brownduck6.jpg

crested1a.jpg

crestedducks2.gif

Freak of nature, humongous crest (died shortly after):
aHUGEcrest5.jpg

I miss my beautiful Crested ducks!
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, if you do good, it's well worht it. {ahem $$}
smile.png

Tell me about it! I get $200.00-$250.00 for each of my Crow ducklings, aka WV Mountain Ducks

I'm going to pm you regarding possibly importing some WV Mountain Ducks to the UK I know it's super expensive and a faff to do
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Here's a question that interests me.... how do you tell the laying percentage of an individual in a flock? How do you get trap laying information on a duck that will lay anywhere in the yard or house? I know you can up the laying percentage in your flock as a whole, the Metzger's website has some great information on telling who's laying and who hasn't been laying at all, but how do you do it for individuals? I have too many to give each girl I want to know about her own pen for the night.

I had to b/c they were costing me way too much money (feed, vet care-pekins all had bumblefoot, medicines, supplies, pens), and they weren't selling at all to offset the high costs. I needed the space too. I had to cut way back on breeds. I can only keep a few breeds of birds, the 3 that are the best sellers for me. But I do miss those guys.
sad.png

m.kitchengirl :

I have a trio of Anconas I am waiting on to start laying (and who are quite busy practicing their mating techniques the last few months).

I would like to breed my very solidly built boy to some great layers and really maximize the DP potential of the breed while maintaining Holderead's standards for the breed. But, what I wonder is, if their eggs look the same, how do you know which girls are the best layers?

(I also have placed my order for some Anconas from Boondockers Farm, I am splitting a shipment with a friend, 10 for me, 5 for her. They won't lay right off, but my black hen has some buff coloration on her head, and will be predominantly used as a layer hen - I am a baker by trade & prefer the duck eggs for my purposes, so I don't mind having a breeding pen & a laying pen.)

I have plans for a big renovation of the duck house in March, and the new ducklings come in May. I will have 2 pens for the ducks - a layer & breeder pen - that can be combined into one once breeding season ends, so the ducklings can brood right next to the existing ducks from day one. I spoke with my "contractor" today, (my sort of FIL) and they are putting in electric & some great gravity fed watering systems for me, so outside brooding will be easy as pie (and I will be in on all the work & will know how to do it myself next time). It will also have a broody wing that can house 2 broody ducks at a time, if need be.

with all these breeding plans you have, i sure hope you get a bator!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom