Breeding Projects -- Waterfowl

Quote:
This is a Rust. Notice the wing and face. If you bred it to a black or blue, you should have about half the offspring look like it.

She was a Crested Swedish out of B/B/S breeding. Maybe a color mutation from that? Never heard of "rust". No matter anyway, I no longer have any of those.
wink.png

Rust is a rare mutation, and it's still being studied by geneticists, they're trying to figure out how it works. It is probably incompletely dominant, with one dose looking like that hen, (I have a Rust swede as well) and two doses looking like a very black mallard color. It basically looks like the black pigment of a mallard was doubled, is what a two dose bird looks like. What the gene does is either relieves some of the black pigment, or replaces it with in areas wildtype color. I'm doing a project with my one rust hen, trying to get better expression. For example, you're hen had better facial relief than my hen does.

Quote:
That's right, they don't carry Buff dilution. But they don't carry chocolate dilution either (that is, they are not d/d, they are D/D). I am sure that Butterscotch Calls, bantam Mallards and Saxony are all exactly the same colour and pattern, genetically. That is: the same as a wild type Mallard but light phase (li/li) and with two doses of Blue (Bl/Bl).

I have checked the latest edition of Storey's Guide and that's what it says about these colours in North America. Holderread does indicate that some Calls and Bantam mallard Butterscotches may have one or two Harlequin versions of the Light phase gene which will tend to reduce facial stripes. Other than that, Saxony = Butterscotch.

Last edited:
Quote:
There is no rule about this. With the very first generation you breed you are already making them your own.

This was discussed over in the turkey forum, the thread is
Ridley, Wishard and Reese Bronze thread.

Thankyou for that link - an interesting read.

Don't have any problem with the concept that it takes approx 5 generations to develop a clear strain. My comment was more along the lines of what JimsFarmStand said - that you can buy birds from someone else's 'strain' or line but you can't keep referring to your birds as that person's strain/line unless you do so with their permission, and unless you are breeding under their direction and pairing birds in exactly the same way they would do. If you are not doing that then very quickly the claim that you have so-and-so's strain becomes a bit meaningless and even misleading. Not to mention kinda ripping off the original breeder and trading on their hard work. I certainly agree that after 5 generations without close direction from the original breeder you pretty much have your own thing going, for better or worse.

Quote:
She was a Crested Swedish out of B/B/S breeding. Maybe a color mutation from that? Never heard of "rust". No matter anyway, I no longer have any of those.
wink.png

Rust is a rare mutation, and it's still being studied by geneticists, they're trying to figure out how it works. It is probably incompletely dominant, with one dose looking like that hen, (I have a Rust swede as well) and two doses looking like a very black mallard color. It basically looks like the black pigment of a mallard was doubled, is what a two dose bird looks like. What the gene does is either relieves some of the black pigment, or replaces it with in areas wildtype color. I'm doing a project with my one rust hen, trying to get better expression. For example, you're hen had better facial relief than my hen does.

Hmmmm....... Rust. That's a new one to me. I wonder if that could be what's going on with "Metal Duck".

Check this thread. I hope to copy more of him.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=584461&p=1

Metal duck doesn't appear Rust, I think Rust is usually several shades darker, and carries alot of truely black pigment, but he might be a rust. But I've not heard of Sooty, so he might be that as well. I REALY want to get Holderread's new duck book. It's supposed to be vastly updated and expanded in that area.

Speaking of which, there are some projects here which might be included in the 3rd edition of the book! (wow... just think
tongue.png
)

eventully this year sometime im gonna try to breed for butter scotch silkie ducks (by mating a male butter scotch call to a female silkie, and try to get the coloring correct threw generations) it will take a few years though probably.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom