Breeding saddle back Sebastopols

FlourishingVine

Chirping
Dec 10, 2019
This is for all the sebbie lovers out there.
I plan to hopefully have my first sebbie breeding this spring. I was wondering if anyone here has bred a male saddle back to a white female. What was the coloring of your goslings? Should I expect 50/50 or all saddle backs? I’m also curious if I should stick to the breed standard of white. I love colored and non colored sebbies. I learn more towards the white color but my husband had to have a make saddle back
Thank you in advance for all your advice!

Last edited:
Hi! I don't breed sebbies personally, but the color genetics will work the same for them as any other breed.

I think you meant a female saddleback to a white gander? Since you can't breed two male geese together, lol :p The results would be, assuming the white male is homozygous for dilute, all white females and all dilute pied males, heterozygous for dilute.

Or maybe you meant a male saddleback and female white, not a white gander? If that's what you meant, that should result in saddleback females and dilute pied males, again heterozygous for dilute.

Now, there has been some back and forth over whether or not the Spotting (pied) gene is sex-linked or not. I've seen some things that say it is, but I've seen more things that say it's not, including this article here, so I'm going with it not being sex linked.

Hahaha oops typo yes! Thanks for catching that I’ll fix it . I meant male saddle back to white female.
I’ve been trying to find breeding results online for saddle backs paired with classic white and can’t find much. I appreciate your input and I’m going to read that article!

Hahaha oops typo yes! Thanks for catching that I’ll fix it . I meant male saddle back to white female.
I’ve been trying to find breeding results online for saddle backs paired with classic white and can’t find much. I appreciate your input and I’m going to read that article!

You might have some fun playing around with this calculator :)

In my experience the saddleback pattern is dominant. A friend of mine bred a saddleback female to a white male and all offspring were saddleback.

In my experience the saddleback pattern is dominant. A friend of mine bred a saddleback female to a white male and all offspring were saddleback.

That's very interesting - do you happen to know if saddleback in sebbies is the same genetically as saddleback in other breeds of geese? I would assume yes, but the problem is that if it is, then breeding a saddleback female to a white male and getting all saddleback goslings should be impossible - in fact, you wouldn't expect to get any at all. So that makes me wonder.

That's because white in breeds of geese that aren't Asiatic geese (like Chinese and African) is caused by the combo of the dominant sex-linked Dilution gene and the recessive Spotting gene. A white male is homozygous for dominant dilution.

So all his daughters should be getting a copy of dominant dilution, and as they can only ever get one copy of this gene, it, in combination with the recessive spotting gene they would have inherited from both parents (saddlback color being the result of having two copies of Spotting, but no copies of Dilute), would make them white.

The male offspring would only get one copy of Dilute, so they wouldn't be totally white, but they'd have a weird pied/dilute pattern and probably wouldn't look like a saddleback.

So that said, it makes me wonder if saddleback in sebbies isn't caused by the Spotting gene, because if it is, you couldn't breed a saddleback female to a white male and get all saddleback offspring.

This makes me want to see if I can get ahold of a saddleback sebbie female and cross it with my Tufted Romans, and see what pops out.

Back
Top Bottom