Breeding season aggression 10 month old tom

Otis-Gussy

Chirping
Jun 24, 2017
I have a 10 month old Tom who I raised since he was a few days old. I know getting attached to a turkey is ridiculous, but I’ve considered him to be a pet. I had no intention of raising him for food, just to keep him and a couple hens as hobby pets.
As he got bigger, he became not trustworthy around my kids ( not really his fault, my 6 year old son used to run back and forth next to the turkey run to encourage them to chase him ) so I think children are now perceived as threats.
Anyway.. he has never shown any aggression to me or my husband. But now that it’s breeding season he has become aggressive to me as well. Today as I was retrieving the food and water from the coop he jumped up and kicked me twice. I had to leave the coop to grab a stick because he kept trying to repeat it.
It breaks my heart as silly as that is because I do see him as a pet, but being not only aggressive to my small kids ( I don’t let him free range unless the kids aren’t home) and now this I just don’t see how I can reconcile keeping him.
Does aggression get better after breeding season or usually remain?
Is him showing aggression at 10 months a terrible sign?

My friend had her turkeys kill her favorite Silkie hen... AND her chihuahua.

Some breeds are more aggressive than others... No I DON'T "think" it will get better. :hmm

They harvested all the bullies and ended with 2 white royal palm hens that are good members of their flock now.

Sorry you face this. :hugs

Ya just like people you get sweet hearts then you get jerks, What breed is he? I know the white meat turkeys which aren't any good for breeded can be cross when it comes breeding season. ive the bronze are idiots too ,I've had 2 royal palms and they never harmed any thing when mating season came around, last year we raised a half royal palm half meat turkey since he hatched and he was a real suck followed use around and even knew his name, but he thought he was a tuff guy with the dogs, he would jump and drop kick them in the head lol. sadly the cold got to him and he did make it thru the winter :( , i differently recommend looking into Royal Palms if you want a good bet they are pretty easy going. Also when you fed them yesterday what color of shirt were you wearing? if it was red or close to red he probably seen you as a threat or a angry turkey,

My friend had her turkeys kill her favorite Silkie hen... AND her chihuahua.

Some breeds are more aggressive than others... No I DON'T "think" it will get better. :hmm

They harvested all the bullies and ended with 2 white royal palm hens that are good members of their flock now.

Sorry you face this. :hugs
Yep , Royal Palms seem to have pretty good tempers.

Back
Top Bottom