Breeding Seramas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mylilchix, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking about breeding seramas. What is the ideal size to do this? What qualities should I be looking for in the pair?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I think the ideal size is B. More likely to produce smaller offspring, although seramas don't breed true to size so a C is normally fine too.
    Qualities:
    TYPE. The firs thing you look for is type. Type defines the breed.
    Temperament. Seramas are very friendly. You want that to be passed on.
    Size. Size doesn't matter too much, but it is still best to have smaller birds. A size birds sometimes aren't viable, so try not to use too many in your breeding program.
    Color. Color doesn't matter to most people. If you are going to try to standardize a color, look for color.
    Anyway, thats my opinion.

3. mylilchix

That was a big help, thank you!! I have a friend who has a beautiful Class A roo right now, but if it wouldn't be good for breeding I'll keep looking.

Sonja

4. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    It is not that it wouldn't be good for breeding, if it has good type, thats better than size because type is more important than size. Especially since it is REALLY hard to get even good type in A class. They aren't normally very chesty, and there legs are often too short causing their wings to be horizontal. You might have to see if it is viable. A technique a lot of people use is t breed small roos to bigger hens for egg size. The bigger the egg, the more likely the chick will hatch.

5. mylilchix

This is the one I was looking at. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Sonja

6. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    How old is he? They can improve a lot with age. If he was around 9 months old, I would say probably not, because, at this age, his wings are too long or his legs too short, he needs to hold them vertically. He is not chesty enough, but that comes with age. When he is around 14-16 months old and still not chesty, I would say that he won't ever be. I think you should look around a little more and find a cock with a little better type. It is easier to start out with nice type than to correct faults through breeding. Also his back is too long. I think the ideal is 1 inch? But I am not sure. They are supposed to look like they have no back at all because their hackle feathers cover it . This is the 2007 Cajun Classic(biggest serama show. It is in Louisiana): http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/jerschex/Forum Pixs 2/08 nationals/08SeramaNationals054.jpg

7. mylilchix

Wow!! He is a beauty. Thank you for the picture, so I have a better idea of what to look for. The one had I been looking at it only 15 weeks old. I have time to find a good breeding pair (I've got lot of cute chicks here to keep me occupied).

Sonja

8. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    He is a beauty isn't he? I wish I could have one like him! 15 weeks is young, but I would still say keep looking. How about a trio? Or 4? Or 5? Or 6? Or 7? Or 8? You will eventually end up with that many any way, they are SO addicting. You might as well start out with that many [​IMG]

9. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Oh, if you look at findaserama.com and scnaonline.org you might be able to find those 8 chickens [​IMG]

10. mylilchix

Don't tempt me!! I just got 16 ameraucana hatching eggs in the mail, I have 6 shipping from Ideal today, and 6 more (including 2 Hat Trick silkies) I'm picking up this weekend. I think my hubby's gonna shoot me if I bring 8 new seramas home too!! [​IMG] I want to be picky with those!!

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by