Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

I love how nice they look so far. I'm a sucker for silkie feathering and want to do something with my pheonixes later on, so I'll be watching this to see how it goes for you. Did you male the initial cross or did you buy them as silkied cochins?
Silkied Phoenix? I think the tail feathers will just break due to the poor structure.

I purchased them as silkied. From what I've read, the trait actually popped up as a random mutation in Cochin bantams, as it did in Ameraucanas some years back. 🙂

I remember seeing silkied Phoenixes at one point, as I added it to my 'want list' under the silkied feathering subset. I hope you're able to progress with them as I'd love to work with those as well! Ideally, I'd like to preserve every non-Silkie breed that can be found in silkied feathering... but we're sticking with just the Cochins for now. 😁

Last edited:
I remember seeing silkied Phoenixes at one point
Did you take pictures?

1670527019812.png

1670527058402.png

They don't. Those are Fly Tying roosters with Long Hackle, Saddle and Tails.

View attachment 3344462
Okay? Not sure what that has to do with the pheonixes or cochins being silkied.
I purchased them as silkied. From what I've read, the trait actually popped up as a random mutation in Cochin bantams, as it did in Ameraucanas some years back. 🙂

I remember seeing silkied Phoenixes at one point, as I added it to my 'want list' under the silkied feathering subset. I hope you're able to progress with them as I'd love to work with those as well! Ideally, I'd like to preserve every non-Silkie breed that can be found in silkied feathering... but we're sticking with just the Cochins for now. 😁
That's neat. I love when things pop up, of course then I panic and have to figure out what the cluck is going on with my flock when it does happen. I've had that happen twice now with my pheonixes. Well, I guess the mutations didn't originate in my flock, but they suddenly popped up one day in a hatch amd kept popping up later

Back
Top Bottom