Breeding with Mixed Flock

Calvino00

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hello this is my first post to the forum, but I've found many answers to my questions here over the last 3 yrs that I've been keeping chickens. Thank you all for stewarding such a useful forum. I raise chickens for eggs only right now, mostly for my own consumption and give a dozen away to friends every week or so. They free range most of the day, so they also help manage bugs and turning over leaf litter on my 4 acre proerty. I've got 3 acres of forest and 1 acre cleared with fruit and nut trees and berries right at the entrance to the North Cascades National Park

I am raising three new chicks (Speckled Sussex, Olive Egger, and Cuckoo Maran) to add to my existing flock (Columbian Wyandotte, brown leghorn, and 2 Blue Austolorp). I find great pleasure in raising chicks again (this is written in the middle of the covid pandemic - so essentially chickens and my cat are my primary companions) and all this time at home has thinking seriously about getting a rooster and starting to breed.

We have a very active "chicken lady" community on facebook where I live, and I've had many roosters offered up. So, I am requesting your input understanding how the mixed genetics will manifest in their offspring. My Columbian Wyandotte tends to go broody, and one of the Austorlorps is showing signs of setting as well.

Would folks recommend breeding with another columbian wyandotte so I have some "pure bred" offspring I could sell and the rest mixed? Does anyone with experience mixing wyandotte have feedback on how the patterns will show with the other breeds? I was also offered a silver-laced wyandotte which I think could sire some beautiful offspring. Will they maintain their lacing? My other idea is to find a rooster with gentics for blue eggs, and I'm curious if folks have recommendations about how well these mixed breeds turn out.

Thank you for your help. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200325_183714.jpg
    20200325_183714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200325_101047.jpg
    20200325_101047.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I don't think it matters much to the average chicken keeper if the birds are mixed breeds. They are usually in it for the eggs and the joy of keeping chickens.
Don't take just any rooster. He has to have proven himself to be good with the ladies and not human aggressive. A lot of the birds being rehomed are first generation "oops, I got a cockerel" boys.

Back
Top Bottom