Breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Austin Nelson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Austin Nelson

Austin Nelson New Egg

Oct 21, 2010
    So i got a question ,and i am going to ask .Do you have to have separate roosters and a hens to breed and make baby chicks?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I don't think I understand what you are asking exactly, what do you mean about "seperate" roosters and hens??

3. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    No you don't have to separate them. I have had plenty hens set on eggs in the coop and hatch babies. The only thing is the babies have to be able to get to the food and water. The hen will protect them from the other chickens. A coop is usually not an ideal place due to the set up.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you want eggs to be fertile and hatchable, you need to have a fertile roo with fertile laying hens.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If you're talking about separating by breed, then yes since a rooster will cover a hen regardless of breed do if you're interested in keeping a pure line then you will have to isolate your flock by breed. Otherwise, if you're just interested in chick, the sexes should be housed together.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

Like the others appear to be, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. One rooster can usually keep about 10 hens fertile if that is your question. It does not need to be one rooster with only one hen and they do not need to be the same breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by