Breeds that lay all year?

chasing ducks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
New Hampshire
My ducks have just started laying and a thought occurred to me (Kind of dumb that this didn't hit me earlier) do all breeds lay all year? Can anyone tell me if any of these breeds lay all year:

golden 300 hybrids
white hybrids
rouens
pekins
fawn and white runners
black runners
chocolate runners
blue runners
magpies
blue swedish
black swedish
cayuga
mallard
welsh harlequin
muscovy

Just curious, I have 36 females right now because of the demand for duck eggs at the farmers markets, but what am I going to do this winter when there are no farmers markets if they lay all year? Maybe I'll scramble the extras and feed them back to them.

If you don't want them to lay throughout the winter give them less light. They recommend 14 hours of light a day for winter months but some will lay with only 12 in my experience. So I would go with less than that. A heat lamp counts as light.

You should consider building a customer base for winter. Tell them that you sell year around, pending on the ducks, and they can pick it up at xyz place. You can also consider a delivery service, if there is not to much driving around involved. Many may be fine with paying a premium for this kind of service, because they are getting better eggs.

Back
Top Bottom