breeds

waraas

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
I moved into a new house and want to get some chickens, cas there kool..

I was thinking of getting 3 hens and a roster. But I dont want to roster to be loud and annoy the neighbor, do you think that will be a problem?

Anyways, I am wondering what are some really kool breeds of chickens are. There are so many of them! I want one that is kinda big, but still lays some eggs. I want it to be very unique, any suggestions?

thanks in advance for the help

waraas...well....first thing you need to find out is...are you allowed legally to have them in your neighborhood? Some places allow them, some dont. Some allow hens, but not roosters. Why do you want a rooster? Are you planning on letting the hens hatch the eggs? If not, then you dont need a rooster. Hens lay just fine without a roo. As far as "different breed" there are so many, and everyone hase a different opinion. My advise....look around online...untill you see something that catches your fancy, then READ READ READ about them, and thier specific needs, shelter, food, water, fencing.....BEFORE you get anything! Good luck on your search. They can be so relaxing to have around.

Thanks for the info. I have been lookin for the last few days. I like the red stars a lot, but there really common :-s oh well.

I wanted a rooster because there pretty kool looking haha.

I wouldn't advise on getting a rooster if you are a newcomer. They can become a handful when they get older. Some good heavy breeds for egg laying and for beginners as well would be Plymouth Barred Rocks, Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. These birds are pretty docile and do well in colder climates.

I would also recommend Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. They are both very docile and beautiful, as well as great egg layers.

You might look at cochins for something a little different.

Good luck with your search.

Lori

I would also reccomend Silver laced or golden laced wynadottes very cold hardy decant layers and very pretty. If you want a rooster you should get at least 8 hens because with any less the rooster will over-mate them and it could cause the hens to loose feathers on their back and possible injure them. Welcome to the chicken world and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom