Bresse Chickens

Linda-- I"m a cheap wad and view wax as expensive compared to water. I can pluck a duck as fast as a chicken!! THe body shape is actually better than a chicken for laying on the table while being stripped of its feathers.

Will be interested in hearing from those that use wax though!!

Linda-- I"m a cheap wad and view wax as expensive compared to water. I can pluck a duck as fast as a chicken!! THe body shape is actually better than a chicken for laying on the table while being stripped of its feathers.

Will be interested in hearing from those that use wax though!!
Good to know. I've never done it. But I'll try your way first. And then.......if necessary.
gig.gif

IF necessary . . .go for it!!!

I learned to pluck from a native from Africa and he was FAAAAAST at plucking, all in the water temp and a little practice. I've certainly become faster as I know which knife I like, the set up that works for me, knowing wich bags will be used, etc. Practice makes perfect. I do it basically the same way as the second time I butchered chickens, with a few tweeks.

Ya'll's will have to give me pointers on plucking ducks. We're picking up 6 muscovy ducks tomorrow, keeping 3 for breeding and 3 for freezer camp in 4 weeks in time for thanksgiving!!! I'm excited to get 3 ducks for $10 each plus a $16 bag of feed to get 3x 12 lb ducks for thanksgiving. I have 29 chickens going to freezer camp in 7 weeks. It's my first time, I'm nervous.

I think the bresse chick I have that's standing fuuny has an injured wing. We're building a nice big brooder box for them tomorrow in the barn and something for my meaties for the next 7 weeks as they have outgrown the current set up, but it's going to be perfect for muscovy duck. We're moving one of the 3 kiddie pools or Rubbermaid totes to the corner of the meatie pen for a duck pond area, the ducks are the same age as my dp meaties.

Chicken math gone to extremes.

lol

Not clear on the ages of the muscovy-- I put in a stone at the edge of the pool for easy access out of the poool. THe babies sometimes cannot get out with the steep sides.

Understandable that you are nervous. I was the first time too. I"m ok with it now. Practice makes perfect. ANd having a helpiing hand at the time.

The muscovies I just brought home are supposed to be 9-10 weeks old. It's, dark out now do I can't really take any pictures, but tomorrow I will leave the door closed to not have the entire pen area opened unless the meaties give the ducks grief, but these are pretty big ducks.

We built the bigger brooder box for the bresse, cemani and haffies chicks and moved them. I cleaned out all 4 of my chicken areas today. I'm whupped and about to crawl into a hot bathtub with epson salts and some wine. Oh my aching body.

I promised my bf I'd make the house way more presentable by the time he gets home from work tomorrow with meatloaf dinner for being so understanding and awesome letting me have 60 birds. No worries, those numbers will shrink by 60% within 6 weeks. Until spring hahaha.

Beautiful chicken!! My chicks feets are starting to turn blue which is interesting to see. They grow so fast!!

Euarto- my double set of Chinese caponizing equipment is otw to me.. I have 7 roos to caponize, wish me luck!

Beautiful chicken!! My chicks feets are starting to turn blue which is interesting to see. They grow so fast!!

Euarto- my double set of Chinese caponizing equipment is otw to me.. I have 7 roos to caponize, wish me luck!
Woohoo. Very good luck to you. Remember, you are going to have losses. You were going to cull them anyway and it is good practice learning how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom