Bresse Chickens

Pics
Well my eggs hatched out on the 4th and when I had candled them I had only 5 that I put in hatcher. So now I have 5 of the prettiest little yellow chicks running around the brooder cage.

Then yesterday I was on Craig's list looking for my post on it re baby ducks and found an ad for 2 roosters and 8 hens Breese Chickens for sale in Poteet Tx. If you took all they went for 120.00.

Seems the people who were selling them were moving and not taking all their chickens with them. They were only going to take so many cause they were not sure of where they were moving to in town and the restrictions there for chickens.

I remembered that these people about 2 months ago had ad for 18 roosters for sale for 30 each as they had too many. So I called them and down the road I went and bought them all. Nice chickens, young ones, hens getting ready to lay, Big roosters just starting to get their spurs. Came home spent an hour or so getting their house and pen in order and later went back when bro had come home from work and it was cooler out and brought them home. Now I don't have to buy eggs, just wait for them to start laying in a few months and then can hatch my own.

Today I need to put togeather one of those 4 to a set metal nest boxes that my husband bought a few months ago and put it up in the house for them.

These chickens came from woman's father in law who got his first ones from Jon in California years ago.

The California blue foots are not the same chicken. They are a recreation and do not have the same enzymes as the French chickens.

That is if I read your post correctly and they have been around for years and are from Cali. Those blue foots are rare too but are not the same bird.

OK I need help we have received 2 Rare breed assortments, both from GFF they were supposed to be 9 BLack bresse but we from the beginning had split combs. Which of course were Augburgers. Here is my delima they think they sent me some Black Bresse but Augsburgers can also have single combs. So how can I tell the difference between an Augsburger and a Black Bresse? I am no expert on either breed but we do want to raise both breeds.

Do the blacks have blue feet? I know they are very different chickens not just different colors so I'm not sure.

If so in a month or so you'll be able to tell!

I think as soon as its safe in your area ( you know your predictors I dont) they should be eating grass and bugs. The last 1-2 months traditionally they " finish" them on milk soaked grains and keep them calm and in the dark to promote fattening up and use the unique enzymes for fat marbling.

They always need access to food they are not a live off the land bird even though they are good foragers.

Our 3 White Bresse are looking great can't wait to get to try Bresse meat, probably be this time next year but still sounds good.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom