Bresse Chickens

Pics
I got them packaged yesterday. They were all from 4.6-4.9 lbs dressed. In the photo below I have two Bresse with a Brahma mix in the middle. Quite a difference in the body shape. Much broader breast and more compact shape. A lot more meaty too.
Lol the picture loaded first . I looked at the middle one and was hey-! Thats not a breese!

I got them packaged yesterday. They were all from 4.6-4.9 lbs dressed.

In the photo below I have two Bresse with a Brahma mix in the middle. Quite a difference in the body shape. Much broader breast and more compact shape. A lot more meaty too.

ep.gif
Impressive.

I got them packaged yesterday. They were all from 4.6-4.9 lbs dressed.

In the photo below I have two Bresse with a Brahma mix in the middle. Quite a difference in the body shape. Much broader breast and more compact shape. A lot more meaty too.
Beautiful birds I absolutely need to get some of these my fiancee prefers the breast and looks like these have more breast than most.

Actually. They are called La Bresse Gauloise. I bred these birds in Ireland for 4 seasons and had managed to get 2 different bloodlines. They are an excellent meat bird and also excellent egg layers. As a hobby breeder i did send surplus eggs to fellow breeders in the UK, Greece, Ireland and also USA, the USA was difficult owing to the long transatlantic flight and delay in US customs, however i had one breeder write back to me ... with a 40% hatch rate, which considering the time scale.... it was amazing!. It was with the La bresse Gauloise that i witnessed my first triple yoked egg, in fact i have only ever seen 4 triple yoked eggs .... all these have been from La Bresse Gauloise hens. I may start a new thread covering La bresse birds as there is so much to talk about with these fantastic utility birds.
smile.png

Actually. They are called La Bresse Gauloise. I bred these birds in Ireland for 4 seasons and had managed to get 2 different bloodlines. They are an excellent meat bird and also excellent egg layers. As a hobby breeder i did send surplus eggs to fellow breeders in the UK, Greece, Ireland and also USA, the USA was difficult owing to the long transatlantic flight and delay in US customs, however i had one breeder write back to me ... with a 40% hatch rate, which considering the time scale.... it was amazing!. It was with the La bresse Gauloise that i witnessed my first triple yoked egg, in fact i have only ever seen 4 triple yoked eggs .... all these have been from La Bresse Gauloise hens. I may start a new thread covering La bresse birds as there is so much to talk about with these fantastic utility birds.
smile.png
Goodness, your input would be welcome here on this thread . . . . thriple yolkers? Amazing. I get doubles from my cornishx pullets, but no one else on the farm.

ARe double and trple yolkers an indcator on great laying ability??

Last edited:
smile.png

welcome to the flock Pats

are you still in Ireland?

Actually. They are called La Bresse Gauloise. I bred these birds in Ireland for 4 seasons and had managed to get 2 different bloodlines. They are an excellent meat bird and also excellent egg layers. As a hobby breeder i did send surplus eggs to fellow breeders in the UK, Greece, Ireland and also USA, the USA was difficult owing to the long transatlantic flight and delay in US customs, however i had one breeder write back to me ... with a 40% hatch rate, which considering the time scale.... it was amazing!. It was with the La bresse Gauloise that i witnessed my first triple yoked egg, in fact i have only ever seen 4 triple yoked eggs .... all these have been from La Bresse Gauloise hens. I may start a new thread covering La bresse birds as there is so much to talk about with these fantastic utility birds.:)

Technically here its illegal to call them the exact french name so we skirt around that.

Its great to hear from you and look forward to more european input!

Technically here its illegal to call them the exact french name so we skirt around that.

Its great to hear from you and look forward to more european input!
Just to clarify…it's not actually illegal to call them La Bresse Gauloise, but the French claim that only birds raised in the Bresse region can be "true" Bresse. Just like they claim that only sparkling wine from the Champagne region can be called Champagne. So in the US people have taken to calling them American Bresse (Greenfire) and that name has stuck. Looking forward to learning from your experience Patsonline!

Back
Top Bottom