Bresse Chickens

Pics
I have a question about the Bresse chickens. The black, white and blue have been imported. Other than the color of the feathers what are the differences between the varieties? Is the skin the same color? Do they grow to the same size at the same rate? Is their meat the same? Do they lay similar numbers of eggs? How many eggs does a bresse hen lay in a year? Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I need some help here. I have 2 white breese that turned out to both be cockerels. One has always seamed to have leg problems. Acting like one of the fast growing white US meat birds. The legs are set far apart to support the massive weight, no abnormalities felt, but he prefers to lay down all day and hobbles when he walks. I know I have asked this somewhere and didn't get an answer?? Hope it wasn't here. <blush> I had hoped he'd of out grown this. No such luck! Any help appreciated!!!

I need some help here. I have 2 white breese that turned out to both be cockerels. One has always seamed to have leg problems. Acting like one of the fast growing white US meat birds. The legs are set far apart to support the massive weight, no abnormalities felt, but he prefers to lay down all day and hobbles when he walks. I know I have asked this somewhere and didn't get an answer?? Hope it wasn't here. I had hoped he'd of out grown this. No such luck! Any help appreciated!!!
I have not seen that in any of my birds. Are you sure they were not crossed with a fast grower? In france the black breese are not considered meat birds. They are considered layers.

Mine have Free acess to food and they eat Less then my marans. Regardless I thing I would not breed the one that is having leg problems .

Here is clovis he is a full grown cock.

I give my American Bresse free access to food 24/7. They also free range during the day (behind a 1 acre fence). Not only do they not have any leg problems, out of 15 breeds that I have, they are one of the healthiest ones. It's possible that they could have a vitamin deficiency. Try switching their food to a premium brand like Blue Seal Multi-Flock for a couple of weeks and see if they improve.

Bresse cockerels should stand up straight and alert. I never catch them resting on the ground when they are out free-ranging. They are very alert and very protective, but not aggressive to other cockerels.

My only complaint about the Bresse is that they are loud. You will definitely know that you have a Bresse cockerel on your farm.

I give my American Bresse free access to food 24/7.  They also free range during the day (behind a 1 acre fence).  Not only do they not have any leg problems, out of 15 breeds that I have, they are one of the healthiest ones.  It's possible that they could have a vitamin deficiency.  Try switching their food to a premium brand like Blue Seal Multi-Flock for a couple of weeks and see if they improve.

Bresse cockerels should stand up straight and alert.  I never catch them resting on the ground when they are out free-ranging.  They are very alert and very protective, but not aggressive to other cockerels.

My only complaint about the Bresse is that they are loud.  You will definitely know that you have a Bresse cockerel on your farm.

Now that is Interesting. They are not quiet but my marans are louder. My cream legbar used to be louder but thank god he has quited down..

Now that is Interesting. They are not quiet but my marans are louder. My cream legbar used to be louder but thank god he has quited down..
Now I have not put a noise meter next to them but the order of how loud they are is as follows IMO:

1. Bielefelder
2. American Bresse (white)
3. Birchen Marans
4. Swedish Flower Hens
5. Cream Legbar
6. Hedemora
7. Partridge Orpington
8. Ayam Cemani
9. Sulmtaler
10. Alsteirer
11. Isbar

The other breeds are too young to crow or have not cared to crow.

Back
Top Bottom