Bringing home a new cat tomorrow. What should I know?

Pics

Faizan Ali

Songster
May 7, 2021
Hiii, I am hopefully picking up a cat tomorrow. She is 7 months old and is unspayed. What should I know about bringing a new cat home? I had a cat before but it died due to panleukopenia. Since then I have changed houses and discarded his belongings. I might also be getting her spayed so any tips are appreciated.

I know about diet and all but since it's my first time bringing home an adult cat (almost adult) , I am pretty sure she will be stressed out. How do I make things less scary for her? And also how do I get her to know where her litterbox is. I'll be placing it in the washroom.
When I bring home a new cat I keep it quarantined to a smaller area for the first few days. I would think, as long as it's not too small, keeping her in the washroom for a couple of days with her litter box would be good. It will ensure that she knows where to use the bathroom and she can decompress a bit and not be too overstimulated at once with the whole house to explore.

received_2123407054487064.jpeg

This is her, any idea on the breed?

Agreed it might have been an abortion. Such a shame to have this deception thrust on you. I've never had a cat have issues with birthing. They usually get on fine on their own.

She should be fixed once the kitten situation is sorted out. There are medical benefits for her. Eliminates the risk of reproductive-based medical issues entirely.

She absolutely needs to be locked\confined for at least the first week after moving home. Maybe longer depending on her temperament. Last year, we took in a feral (as in actual feral). It took a month before she was ready to be allowed free access to all areas of the house and she was not good going outside as she seemed to have a bit of ptsd from her feral days. We kept her in a fabric puppy play pen for the first 2 weeks in the livingroom so she could get used to us. She did end up a lovely friendly cat, but took months and patience before she even felt comfortable climbing into a lap.

I agree with Isadora. Slowly introduce the house to her one room at a time. Try to let her get used to her new surroundings before coddling her.
Cats naturally want to bury their waste so she should use the litter box without a problem. My two barn kittens who were only ever lived inside and never had a littler box picked up to the idea in just a few hours. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom