Bringing home a new cat tomorrow. What should I know?

Pics

Faizan Ali

Songster
May 7, 2021
Hiii, I am hopefully picking up a cat tomorrow. She is 7 months old and is unspayed. What should I know about bringing a new cat home? I had a cat before but it died due to panleukopenia. Since then I have changed houses and discarded his belongings. I might also be getting her spayed so any tips are appreciated.

received_2123407054487064.jpeg

This is her, any idea on the breed?

Are there any tips in specific that you are looking for?
I know about diet and all but since it's my first time bringing home an adult cat (almost adult) , I am pretty sure she will be stressed out. How do I make things less scary for her? And also how do I get her to know where her litterbox is. I'll be placing it in the washroom.

I know about diet and all but since it's my first time bringing home an adult cat (almost adult) , I am pretty sure she will be stressed out. How do I make things less scary for her? And also how do I get her to know where her litterbox is. I'll be placing it in the washroom.
When I bring home a new cat I keep it quarantined to a smaller area for the first few days. I would think, as long as it's not too small, keeping her in the washroom for a couple of days with her litter box would be good. It will ensure that she knows where to use the bathroom and she can decompress a bit and not be too overstimulated at once with the whole house to explore.

I agree with Isadora. Slowly introduce the house to her one room at a time. Try to let her get used to her new surroundings before coddling her.
Cats naturally want to bury their waste so she should use the litter box without a problem. My two barn kittens who were only ever lived inside and never had a littler box picked up to the idea in just a few hours. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom