Brinsea Octagon 20 advance incubator review

I am down to the final two contenders the Brinsea Octgon 20 Advance and the Incuview. Both reviews are outstanding thru posts on BYC and YouTube. This too is my first set and I am NOT buying anything made out of Styrofoam **** I wouldn't by a cooler out of Styrofoam. Anyways both units seem remarkable. The Brinsea is a lot more. I am trying hard to find a reason to reject one ... To know avail I might add. Thanks for such a detailed review probably the best review I have read... Ever. ;-)

After reading many reviews on BYC and elsewhere, I bought this incubator as part of my daughter's 4-H project. Overall, it is very easy to setup and use. The temperature was spot on throughout the entire process. The humidity was great until the lock down. We struggled with maintaining it above 60% on the first day of lock down and we tried everything from adding a sponge, filling the reservoirs, adding more towels, etc. Since it was too late to buy the Octagon 20 Advance Humidity Pump, we tried to make our own (see picture). We used a humidifier and tried to pipe in the humidity through a straw. It worked, but we think we did it too late since we only had 4 out of the 9 hatch. I think we will have to invest in the humidity pump for our next hatch.

Wanting to revisit this to see any additional reviews on this. Is everyone that has it still happy with the results you're getting? Any cons?

caf.gif

I'm looking at possibly getting my own incubator, and am wondering for a novice at hatching like myself, which of these two would be most appropriate?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UFJTJC...UTF8&colid=1L4G3UVQQGWKR&coliid=ILQTZPC6OF5KL

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYEFKPA...TF8&colid=1L4G3UVQQGWKR&coliid=I1PA95PDR4V6LH

The main difference I see is the digital controls on the top and $60. Do I need the digital controls or will I do just fine without? Keeping in mind, I work 12 hour shifts several days a week and am in school, aside from hobby farm chores and the hubs.

Thanks for the great reviews written up here!

I think most will tell you that humidity control is a pretty important aspect of hatching. On the digital model you can read percent humidity and adjust it very simply with the slide vent. Further, no guessing on the temps and they are readily adjusted as deemed necessary. Alarms are also a feature on the digital and I'm not sure if so on the other. I really like my digital unit and if you are going to do any sizeable amount of hatching why not spring for the extra $60 and never have to wonder if you should have upgraded. This being said, I'm sure thousands upon thousands of birds have been successfully hatched in the analog.

Last edited:
Good morning and Happy Holidays to all!

Quick question re the Brinsea Advance 20 - approximately how many hatches do you think it will do during its lifetime? How many have you done with yours? I'm thinking of getting an older one (basically ten hatches) but I worry that it will start to break down.

Thanks for your input!!!!!

So as day 22 draws to a close, my last egg just hatched. My first try with the incubator, with 4 eggs I pulled out of my mixed pen, got all 4 to hatch. :) I did have to add a sponge and a half at lockdown to keep the humidity up, and I did have to squirt some water through a line I snaked through the vent hole to keep the humidity up. Other than that, it was a really easy experience. Now I've got 4 little fuzzy butts trampling each other in there. I can't picture hatching a full incubator and having them all in there drying at once.

So as day 22 draws to a close, my last egg just hatched. My first try with the incubator, with 4 eggs I pulled out of my mixed pen, got all 4 to hatch.
smile.png
I did have to add a sponge and a half at lockdown to keep the humidity up, and I did have to squirt some water through a line I snaked through the vent hole to keep the humidity up. Other than that, it was a really easy experience. Now I've got 4 little fuzzy butts trampling each other in there. I can't picture hatching a full incubator and having them all in there drying at once.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And thanks for the tips! I did get an Brinsea Eco and it powered up just fine. I'm going to order a hygrometer to keep an eye on the humidity, just for my own edification. And I FINALLY got my roo today (Splash Marans) who will get to meet his brides (one Splash, three BCM, and one BCM/Cream Legbar cross). He is BEAUTIFUL and I am so excited to try the incubator!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom