Brinsea Ovation 56 EX humidity

SpicyDill

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Hi all! I just upgraded to a Brinsea Ovation 56 EX and I'm trying to prep it to transfer eggs from my little POS to this one and I've got a problem! I can't seem to get the humidity up over 33-34%. I set it for 40% and it's been faithfully dripping water into the auto reservoir, and it's full now. I decided to manually add water to the other reservoir, and did, but it's only gone up by a single percent. I'd love some suggestions. Considering how hard it is to keep the humidity DOWN in my cheapie, I'm shocked that two full reservoirs aren't doing much to this beast. Running a humidifier isn't an option, it's actually pretty humid in the house right now and I'm not looking to make the household moisture issue worse.

I do have the vent as closed as it will go.

I know it comes with the little fluffy paper evaporating block to add to the reservoir if needed, but are there any alternatives to those? They're pretty expensive for single-use items and shipping them here adds quite a bit to that total, too (I'm in Alaska). Crumpled up paper towel in the reservoir? Sponge? Accordioned cardboard?

I'd read that getting humidity up at lockdown can be a problem in these, but wasn't expecting to have issues just getting it to regular 1-18 levels!

And in case it might help anyone else in the future, Brinsea recommended the paper towel fix as well (in addition to evaporation blocks), and also removing the reservoir covers to help increase surface area.

And in case it might help anyone else in the future, Brinsea recommended the paper towel fix as well (in addition to evaporation blocks), and also removing the reservoir covers to help increase surface area.
What’s the fluffy paper block look like? My brinsea maxi 2 ex came with a big sheet of compressed cellulose that you cut off a rectangle and it folds over the ridge in the reservoir. the humidity comes from the water evaporating off the sponge. I think it says to replace it each hatch but I wash just sanitize it and reuse.

It's a fluffy cellulose block that you're supposed to replace after each hatch. They are $19.99 + shipping for a pack of 3, which is a bit steep for a single-use item, and unfortunately they don't seem to sell them on Amazon or Ebay (where I might be able to get free shipping). The paper towel seems to be doing the trick for now, at least.

... of course, I have two thermometers telling me that the Brinsea is off by nearly an entire degree. Man, I can't catch a break.

The sponge sounds a bit different from mine. I wouldn’t want to be paying 20 bucks for three of them either. Glad you found a work around.

My brinsea is off by about .5 degrees so I do have to compensate for that but it stays Rick solid and hardly fluctuates more than .2 degrees. Hope yours holds steady at least even if it’s not calibrated spot on.

The sponge sounds a bit different from mine. I wouldn’t want to be paying 20 bucks for three of them either. Glad you found a work around.

My brinsea is off by about .5 degrees so I do have to compensate for that but it stays Rick solid and hardly fluctuates more than .2 degrees. Hope yours holds steady at least even if it’s not calibrated spot on.
I'm just not sure whether to believe my Brinsea or the other thermometers. I've had several people tell me to trust the Brinsea over the others, including someone who has tested the Govee monitors in a laboratory setting and says they are consistently pretty inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom