Broad Breasted female white turkey with one side of face swollen.

cicipitcher7

Chirping
Mar 28, 2022
Yesterday we got back from a sport thing for our kids and I always go and check on the animals first well I noticed my female turkeys face was swollen on one side like under her eye and she was I guess sneezing a lot. I pressed on it and it’s squishy and some bubbles and clear stuff came from her eye when I gently pressed on it but it’s just clear liquid and it doesn’t stink or anything like that. She’s having normal poo nothing runny and is still eating and drinking and roaming around like she’s fine. What could this be and how can I cure it. She was fine Friday when we left. I just wanna treat it now before it gets bigger or worse.
I posted a video of her below and a picture as well.

Attachments

• 273AAA79-6882-4BF3-81D0-8A5003A1676D.jpeg
    273AAA79-6882-4BF3-81D0-8A5003A1676D.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 26
Have you added any new bird recently?

I'll tag in some Turkey folks @casportpony @R2elk @Huntmaster

Bubbles in the eyes can often be an indication of Mycoplasma. General care is to flush the eyes with saline, press out the pus and bubbles, then put some Terramycin in the eyes. Tylan/Tylosin can be used to help treat symptoms, but abx are not a cure.

Any lesions or yellow/white pasty material inside her beak?

Bubbles in the eyes can often be an indication of Mycoplasma. General care is to flush the eyes with saline, press out the pus and bubbles, then put some Terramycin in the eyes. Tylan/Tylosin can be used to help treat symptoms, but abx are not a cure.

No I haven’t added any new birds in a while. I have tylan 50 injectable on hand but wasn’t sure on how much I should give her. Where can I get Terramycin? I have a local tractor supply would they have it there possibly?

Also no yellow or white pasty material in her beak.

You can substitute plain Neosporin ointment until the Terramycin arrives. Do you know her weight? Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight 3 times daily for 5 days. Tylan 200 is 4 times the strength per ml, and that is better for large birds or animals, but it is expensive. Tylosin generic powder for the water is very good to use if she is drinking well and it can be ordered here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

You can substitute plain Neosporin ointment until the Terramycin arrives. Do you know her weight? Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight 3 times daily for 5 days. Tylan 200 is 4 times the strength per ml, and that is better for large birds or animals, but it is expensive. Tylosin generic powder for the water is very good to use if she is drinking well and it can be ordered here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Okay I wasn’t sure if I could use neosporin or not and I wasn’t gonna try it but since you said it’s okay I’ll do that till it get here. I did give her tylan 50 but I gave it to her orally because I was reading other post of it messing with their muscle and stuff and didn’t wanna chance it. I will have to order the tylan powder for sure thank you.

So if Tylan 50 dosing is 1/4 mL per pound 3X daily for 5 days, and each mL contains 50 mg of tylosin, then 1/4 mL per pound is equal to 12.5mg tylosin per pound 3X daily for 5 days.

12.5 X 3 = 37.5 mg per day for 5 days

So a 5lb bird should have 187.5mg per day (split between 3 doses).

37.5 mg x 5 lbs = 187.5 for a 5lb bird per day

So 1/8 tsp of straight Tylosin is 625mg. So if you dissolve 1/8 tsp of Tylosin in 3 1/2 tsp of water that means each teaspoon of that solution is 178mg of tylosin -- about 1 daily dose for one 5-lb bird.

Can someone check my logic/math in this?

I am not the person to help with math. Tylosin or Tylan is usually given in 3 to 4 doses throughout the day to keep the blood levels up. Usually most add it to the water, either 1 tsp per gallon or a smaller amount. Then when they drink normally, they get the right dose for their weight. Is this the link where you found the amount of Tylosin in a spoonful? https://www.mspca.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Plumbs-Tylosin.pdf

Back
Top Bottom