Broad breasted turkeys and unsafe sex

I wouldn't mind hatching babies but only if it could be done safely. So I guess build a pen on a trampoline or separate them. Unless we can put salt Peter in the water supply
Broad breasted hens do not make good broodies or mothers. They just can't move their legs and feet as delicately as the heritage hens can which frequently ends up with squashed poults. I have seen people claim that their broad breasted hens have broken eggs because of their weight but I suspect those cases are more likely due to a tom taking the sitting hen as an invitation to breed.

Has anyone successfully bred broad breasted turkeys without fatalities? If so what makes for a successful match? I'm so curious now.
There are people who have had and still have successful natural breedings by broad breasted turkeys. Those people normally follow the procedures in place before artificial insemination became prevalent. The breeding stock is normally yearling hens and toms.

I have personally had successful breedings of a BBW hen with a Bourbon Red tom but did use an incubator to hatch them.

Poor mutants. My hen seems pretty keen on the idea but she is pretty clutzy. I did read that lighting is involved in hormone regulation so I'm gonna try to alleviate some immediate tension by shortening days, but that's not a long term solution. I hate to separate or re-home one but it might be necessary. I would make a terrible farmer

Poor mutants. My hen seems pretty keen on the idea but she is pretty clutzy. I did read that lighting is involved in hormone regulation so I'm gonna try to alleviate some immediate tension by shortening days, but that's not a long term solution. I hate to separate or re-home one but it might be necessary. I would make a terrible farmer
I do recommend that you rehome the tom and replace him with a heritage hen so that she has company.

Do they need turkey company? My yard is kinda a cross between Jurassic Park and the game farm. So there are lots of other birds.
Best to have another turkey hen for her. I have broods every year and the turkeys all group together by fall... It seems like they speak different languages. The poults raised by chickens don't pay attention to the brood mother. The poults raised by turkey mom pay better attention to her calls.

Best to have another turkey hen for her. I have broods every year and the turkeys all group together by fall... It seems like they speak different languages. The poults raised by chickens don't pay attention to the brood mother. The poults raised by turkey mom pay better attention to her calls.

That's really interesting, I was wondering if chickens could foster care turkey eggs. I was thinking about having a chicken hatch some ducklings but then I realized I would have to keep them outta the pool. Hadn't thought about the social aspects.

That's really interesting, I was wondering if chickens could foster care turkey eggs. I was thinking about having a chicken hatch some ducklings but then I realized I would have to keep them outta the pool. Hadn't thought about the social aspects.
people have chickens hatch ducks. the poor hen though when the babies jump in the water.. she tends to freak out they say

Do they need turkey company? My yard is kinda a cross between Jurassic Park and the game farm. So there are lots of other birds.
All birds do best if they have companions that are the same as they are. Turkeys speak turkey, chickens speak chicken, etc. My experience is that birds can be very prejudiced against even different colors of their own kind. When I had Bourbon Reds, Blue Slates and Royal Palms at the same time, they all kept to their own except during breeding season when the toms show the same characteristics as human males and want to breed with anything they can.

The social aspect is that turkeys are flock birds and prefer the company of their own kind.

I have had broody chickens hatch turkey eggs for me but I do not let them brood or raise the poults once the eggs are hatched. Imprinting turkey poults with chickens removes their ability to understand that chickens are not turkeys and can lead to problems when they are adults.

Turkeys need turkeys for company. Your hen will be forlorn without a buddy.

You may want to get a saddle for your hen to prevent damage. Contact @Auroradream26 . Shes a turkey owner and she can fit the "big girls"!

Back
Top Bottom