Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrots??

My ducks are so funny. If I try to give them a new food they will behave as if I am attempting to poison them. But if I'm having dinner outside I have to fight them off my plate full of new foods. So basically they are like muddy toddlers. ;-)
Haha... yes, they are really funny!! They are all so suspicious, lol and I love how they give the side eye look, lol ... too cute!!

My ducks are so funny. If I try to give them a new food they will behave as if I am attempting to poison them. But if I'm having dinner outside I have to fight them off my plate full of new foods. So basically they are like muddy toddlers. ;-)
That’s funny. My ducks will come up to us if we are eating outside but wont eat anything we offer. ONLY PEAS!!!!!!!

Do your ducks have access to grit or time outside on a natural ground?
Yep!! They have a 8 x26 foot run... and I have leaves and fabulous mud pies in their !!
Lol
I had fantasies of a beautiful grass run... yea... didn’t happen!! So.. I am instead growing delicious greens and I have a foraging grass from “nature’s seed” that I am growing foraging grass on in sections / planters that I will put in their run .. I so wish I could free range them outside but the hawks just circle and wait... so I can’t take that chance ... I would absolutely drop over if I saw that happen... so what I plan on doing in the spring is extending the area for foraging by having something I can move around besides them having their run.

Yep!! They have a 8 x26 foot run... and I have leaves and fabulous mud pies in their !!
Lol
I had fantasies of a beautiful grass run... yea... didn’t happen!! So.. I am instead growing delicious greens and I have a foraging grass from “nature’s seed” that I am growing foraging grass on in sections / planters that I will put in their run .. I so wish I could free range them outside but the hawks just circle and wait... so I can’t take that chance ... I would absolutely drop over if I saw that happen... so what I plan on doing in the spring is extending the area for foraging by having something I can move around besides them having their run.
I know what you mean about the predators. My ducks come out for supervised forging walks only.

I have a 30x30 aviary for my 3 ducks. We have a barrier separating their aviary into a "front yard" and a "backyard." When the grass in one section gets sparse we move them to the other yard and reseed the grass. It works well for us, and worked when we had 6 ducks, too. I don't dump any water in their aviary, and I take them for lots of foraging walks - that probably helps.

They are a lot of work!

I know what you mean about the predators. My ducks come out for supervised forging walks only.

I have a 30x30 aviary for my 3 ducks. We have a barrier separating their aviary into a "front yard" and a "backyard." When the grass in one section gets sparse we move them to the other yard and reseed the grass. It works well for us, and worked when we had 6 ducks, too. I don't dump any water in their aviary, and I take them for lots of foraging walks - that probably helps.

They are a lot of work!
Ohhh wow 30 x 30!!! That is amazing !!!
Yes... they are a lot of work!!! I kept reading about how easy they are ... in some ways they are ... but I think to really ensure their happiness and their natural tendencies ... WORK!!!
Lol
How many ducks do you have ???

Ohhh wow 30 x 30!!! That is amazing !!!
Yes... they are a lot of work!!! I kept reading about how easy they are ... in some ways they are ... but I think to really ensure their happiness and their natural tendencies ... WORK!!!
Lol
How many ducks do you have ???
I just have the 3. I had 6, but 3 passed away over the last nearly 6 years due to medical conditions. :( They were very loved.

Before I got ducks I read an article saying something like, "all you have to do is provide ducks with food and water and they take care of themselves." That person never met my entitled demanding ducks. They hear me having a conversation with my partner inside the house and start shout quacking outside for walks and mealworms and their Very Important Needs. Lol. Then there is my pekin who rarely forages. She sits down next to me and waits for me to find bugs for her. I do... So... Yeah she's got me trained. :oops: I'd blame it on her age (7 years!) but it has been happening since she was 1.5. I think she's just epically lazy.

I just have the 3. I had 6, but 3 passed away over the last nearly 6 years due to medical conditions. :( They were very loved.

Before I got ducks I read an article saying something like, "all you have to do is provide ducks with food and water and they take care of themselves." That person never met my entitled demanding ducks. They hear me having a conversation with my partner inside the house and start shout quacking outside for walks and mealworms and their Very Important Needs. Lol. Then there is my pekin who rarely forages. She sits down next to me and waits for me to find bugs for her. I do... So... Yeah she's got me trained. :oops: I'd blame it on her age (7 years!) but it has been happening since she was 1.5. I think she's just epically lazy.
Oh , gosh... how sad... that must have been painful... 😞
Sounds like they were very very loved and had a beautiful life.💝

Haha.... that is so funny... and adorable....yes they can be quite demanding ... and they are soooo funny... they don’t cuddle like dogs ... but I am telling you... they are so darn precious and my heart is completely in love with them.. I could watch them for hours!

I love how when they hear me in the morning the quack that comes out of them is hysterical ( my dog fell off the couch it was so loud, Hahahaha)

Yes....... I’m still bringing them in at bedtime... ugh... I know .... but I rest so much better when I know they are snuggling away in the sun room... haha
Eventually I’ll do it... ☹️

It was devastating to say goodbye to them, but I find peace knowing that I gave them the best life I possibly could. And I went above and beyond in trying to save them.

Haha, yeah, I do watch my ducks for hours. 😁 We call it duck TV. As in, "Sweetheart, do you want to go outside and watch duck TV while we eat dinner?"

That's so funny about your dog. I loved that photo of him in the suit. 💖

The only thing I can see being not optimal about having your ducks sleep inside at night is the inside/outside temperature fluctuations. All the other stuff is personal choice. And I understand feeling over cautious. I have 3 latches on my aviary door. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom