Broke back farm?:)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roosty, Jan 18, 2009.

1. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Ok so I have a rooster that jumped on the back of another one of my roosters the other day, the rooster on the bottom squated down and the duty was done. I was like WHAT! So i guess the rooster on the bottom is a hen. I put her in the pen with the other hens and she hasnt showed any signs of being a roo. Weird! Then today the same rooster that jumped on the back of that one jumped on the back of another roo today. The roo on the bottom squaked and then squated down, the duty was done and I was like WHAT AGAIN!!! The rooster on the bottom this time has to be a roo. HUGE comb and wattles. The roo on the bottom hasnt crowed yet but it looks just like a roo. The 2 roo/hens that were on the bottom are about 6/7 months old. Could they be hens or is the roo on top a little broke back? HA:)
    I will take pics of the roo/hens tomarrow and post them.

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sounds like a "pecking order" thing?

3. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    What? Roosters will do that with other roos to show they are the top roo?? Crazy!

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Some roos will do this to other roos to show who's dominate.I've had two different flocks where this happened before.It stopped when the extra roos were removed.
    I think someone else posted a topic about this before.

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Be careful with those roos. My grey rooster used to show my RIR rooster he was dominate in the brokeback way. My RIR got tired of that and showed the grey rooster he was ultimately the dominate one.

6. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Mounting is just a sign of domination. All animals do it, humans included, males and females alike. Spay/neuter makes no difference to the act, it's natural/nature.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I just can't quit you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by