Broken and Mended eggs

HerbDoll

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2022
A hen is consistently laying broken and mended eggs for 4 weeks, which are larger than normal. I read these are caused by disturbances during calcification, but no longer believe that standard response, since it’s ongoing, and our flock is all all amiable with each other. Oyster shell is free-access. White is also thin. I’m very concerned, and am looking for experience & knowledge.

A hen is consistently laying broken and mended eggs for 4 weeks, which are larger than normal. I read these are caused by disturbances during calcification, but no longer believe that standard response, since it’s ongoing, and our flock is all all amiable with each other. Oyster shell is free-access. White is also thin. I’m very concerned, and am looking for experience & knowledge.
That particular hen may have higher calcium and/or more difficulty absorbing the calcium she eats.

An egg breaking in the shelling gland is not necessarily caused only by a disturbance in the flock.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do they eat the OS regularly?
How old, in months, is the bird that lay the 'funky' eggs?
Pics and weight of 'funky' eggs would help here.

An egg breaking in the shelling gland is not necessarily caused only by a disturbance in the flock.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do they eat the OS regularly?
How old, in months, is the bird that lay the 'funky' eggs?
Pics and weight of 'funky' eggs would help here.
Thank You for the Q’s! I sat in coop this morning til I learned it’s Barred Rock 21 months old. She verbally strained. Today’s egg is just Jumbo and not misshapen, but new today is some white on shell (“calcium coated”…another shell gland sign) Does not rub off. See pics. Light molt this fall; not currently molting. Mixed flock of 22, NO rooster, no real bullies, not crowded in coop, plenty of fenced yard w/ aerial net. OS is free access, no idea if she personally oartakes. All eagerly share a quart or 2 of homemade kefir weekly, with Nutri-Drench in it. Today I gave her 3cc Poultry Cell. This has been happening 1 month now. Last several months the feed is Big V 20% Complete Egg Kernals (made in McAlester OK) + a pint of scratch in morning & a cup of scratch in evening. (This should balance the 20% feed, which they have free-access to but don’t overeat it. Big V smells & looks like food compared to Dumor & Purina which my hens did not not eat well.
I genuinely appreciate any skilled advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpeg
    IMG_2471.jpeg
    669.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    643.5 KB · Views: 23
Today’s egg is just Jumbo and not misshapen, but new today is some white on shell (“calcium coated”…another shell gland sign)
Looks definitively cracked?

I'd cut out the scratch, yeah it balances protein but may be diluting other nutrients.
Is the feed cracked grains or crumble or....?

Back
Top Bottom