Broken beak - need vet care?

Sunset Ranch

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
Glennville, CA
My young cockerel somehow smashed or broke the tip of his beak this morning. He was able to eat and drink throughout the day. I finally caught him at bedtime and gently washed his beak with soap and water and sprayed it with vetracyn. I have him in the house tonight in case I need to take him to the vet tomorrow. Will this heal on its own or does it need vet care? Thank you in advance.

A few people trim beaks on hens to keep them from pecking each other so badly. And they make it just fine over though they look much worse, 90% of the time then that beautiful rooster of yours... No worries I say if it has cracked up the beak put some superglue or 2 part apoxy on it and may him indestructible!!!

Thank you for responding and for the suggestion, ManHunter. His beak is smooshed on the end into a hard ball, so there isn't anything to superglue. I'm going to take a closer look this morning when I doctor him again, and probably turn him out with the others. I have Tylan in case it looks like he's getting an infection.

Oh wow, poor Fuzzy Bum!!! But she made it and even has a boyfriend now! :D

My guy is doing fine. I ended up taking him to the vet and she removed the broken part. He was sore for about a week and had trouble pecking anything off of the ground, but I kept the feeders filled which gave him a deep enough bowl to get food without bumping his beak.

Oh wow, poor Fuzzy Bum!!! But she made it and even has a boyfriend now!
big_smile.png

My guy is doing fine. I ended up taking him to the vet and she removed the broken part. He was sore for about a week and had trouble pecking anything off of the ground, but I kept the feeders filled which gave him a deep enough bowl to get food without bumping his beak.
The Fuzzy Bum story is one of my favorites and I'm so glad that she keeps updating her thread.

Glad your guy is better!

-Kathy

She was very brave!! And you and others were awesome helpers! I was impressed with the level of advice she got, and that you were willing to talk her through it on the phone - WOW! This place is my #1 go to source for information and help. You and a few other special ones deserve a gold medal or something. :)

She was very brave!! And you and others were awesome helpers! I was impressed with the level of advice she got, and that you were willing to talk her through it on the phone - WOW! This place is my #1 go to source for information and help. You and a few other special ones deserve a gold medal or something.
smile.png
Call me crazy, but I'll give anyone my number if it will help them.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom