Broken beak, should I do anything for it?

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
Buttercup somehow broke the tip of his top beak off. It looks a bit jagged but he is eating and drinking and doesn’t seem to be in distress. But I do see a crack and the corner looks sharp. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpeg
    IMG_3244.jpeg
    517.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3240.jpeg
    IMG_3240.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 25
Buttercup somehow broke the tip of his top beak off. It looks a bit jagged but he is eating and drinking and doesn’t seem to be in distress. But I do see a crack and the corner looks sharp. Thoughts?
I don’t know, sorry! My chicks used too get chips/cracks in there beaks and they sometimes bled but I realized it was just a part of them growing up and it was no big deal but this looks worse and it’s on a grown chicken. Maybe @TwoCrows will know something? Sorry I couldn’t be more of a help!

I've had a few broken beaks on my birds, I'm not sure if it's a dietary thing, genetic or accidental.

It doesn't look like it's cracked up too far into the thicker part of the beak. Thankfully it's not bleeding as there is a blood line in there and they can bleed.

The sharp edge should be trimmed down because it is at risk for causing it to chip and crack more. Take a look at this article I wrote on trimming beaks, if you have one of these battery powered foot grinders, I would grind the sharp edge down a bit, making it smooth.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/

If it gets chipped any worse, you will need to feed him dampened mash type food so he isn't pecking with his beak, rather taking bites of it. Use one of those black rubber tubs, they are softer than the hard plastic of the standard feeder.

And if it really starts to crack, you can use super glue on the crack. Make SURE to hold his beak open, using the tip of a tooth pick and sparingly apply it to the crack. Let dry with beak open for several minutes, you don't want to glue his beak together.

It will grow out after 2 or 3 months.

I've had a few broken beaks on my birds, I'm not sure if it's a dietary thing, genetic or accidental.

It doesn't look like it's cracked up too far into the thicker part of the beak. Thankfully it's not bleeding as there is a blood line in there and they can bleed.

The sharp edge should be trimmed down because it is at risk for causing it to chip and crack more. Take a look at this article I wrote on trimming beaks, if you have one of these battery powered foot grinders, I would grind the sharp edge down a bit, making it smooth.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/

If it gets chipped any worse, you will need to feed him dampened mash type food so he isn't pecking with his beak, rather taking bites of it. Use one of those black rubber tubs, they are softer than the hard plastic of the standard feeder.

And if it really starts to crack, you can use super glue on the crack. Make SURE to hold his beak open, using the tip of a tooth pick and sparingly apply it to the crack. Let dry with beak open for several minutes, you don't want to glue his beak together.

It will grow out after 2 or 3 months.
I don’t have a grinder. Can I use a Emory board? Just gently file that little pointy part and maybe a tad bit of super glue gel on that crack to secure it? He already doesn’t trust me, this should just about finish that lol. I will try to burrito wrap him tomorrow evening when my husband gets home. There is no way I can do this alone.

Back
Top Bottom