Broken egg still alive and beating all odds?

Sleek28

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
So I️ have a turkey hen sitting on her nest of 23 eggs that are due on Friday. Not all of the eggs started getting incubated at the same time due to 2 hens laying in the same nest.

Yesterday morning I️ found a turkey egg across the yard that was broken, the chicken hens were fussing about it. The egg was ice cold and the night before we had had freezing temps. There was no movement so I️ was going to toss it but I️ decided to shove it in the incubator I️ already had running for a little while. I️ forgot about it and didn’t end up checking it until last night. There was a ton of movement but the inner membrane was very dry. I️ opened the shell more so that I️ could moisten it with coconut oil. I️ doubted that it would make it through the night. I️ had it in my incubator in an egg carton to keep it upright.

I️ woke up this morning to find that my incubator had died and the temperature was 63 degrees. Again there was no movement and now the inside had a different color than the night before. I️ stuck it in our emergency Large incubator that we use as our brooder. Once again it started moving.

This poult really wants to live. 😅
It’s pretty cool because now I️ can view what’s going on in the egg. It appears that the egg has a saddle air sac.

My questions are:
• When should I️ expect to see that the veins have been absorbed?
• What day will the poult be expected to pip?
• Can the poult hatch in a vertical position?
• Will it need to be helped out?
• What day of development does it look like it’s on?

This was last night:
6686C46F-19FC-4CC8-A160-5B49E3D89C82.jpeg

This was this morning:
1BE35081-2F96-4EAC-B086-B3B16500EC79.jpeg

Sorry for the long post!
Thank you in advance!

Really cool looking! Not ready to hatch yet. The vessels are still alive and full of blood. Hard to say, but I'd guess it'll hatch in about 4 days. Looks close, just not ready. i can't tell if that's a pip or just where the membrane was torn during the crazy ordeal.

Really cool looking! Not ready to hatch yet. The vessels are still alive and full of blood. Hard to say, but I'd guess it'll hatch in about 4 days. Looks close, just not ready. i can't tell if that's a pip or just where the membrane was torn during the crazy ordeal.
Thank you for responding!
I’m not quite sure where you are looking, but I️ don’t think it is pipped yet. It has been moving a ton. It has been kicking the membrane with its feet so hard that I️ was worried it might accidentally tear it. I️ am not expecting it to survive until hatching but I️ am very hopeful! 🤞

Pretty cool it’s still alive!!! :love

I don’t really know anything about turkeys though so not really able to help with your questions. :(

Maybe @R2elk can????
Thank you! Yeah I️ was very relieved to see that it was still alive this morning. It’s all good, I’m just trying to get some more experienced voices on here. Again, thank you!

Thank you! Yeah I️ was very relieved to see that it was still alive this morning. It’s all good, I’m just trying to get some more experienced voices on here. Again, thank you!
Yeah I bet you were!!! Haha it’s amazing!!! And no problem!!! I totally get that!! And I love helping but just don’t wanna lead you astray you know!? Haha

I think @duluthralphie has turkeys too???

Yeah I bet you were!!! Haha it’s amazing!!! And no problem!!! I totally get that!! And I love helping but just don’t wanna lead you astray you know!? Haha

I think @duluthralphie has turkeys too???
Hahaha yep probably best to talk to someone who has turkeys! I️ am concerned that it will pick up some germs. It is really taking my everything to keep myself from getting handsy. I️ know there is nothing I️ can do but I️ am just too excited. 😂
I️ am going to post update pics as long as everything is going good.

Hahaha yep probably best to talk to someone who has turkeys! I️ am concerned that it will pick up some germs. It is really taking my everything to keep myself from getting handsy. I️ know there is nothing I️ can do but I️ am just too excited. 😂
I️ am going to post update pics as long as everything is going good.
Hopefully someone can help!!’ And hahah I understand!!! I was like that with all my eggs lol even harder with one like this though and please do!

Back
Top Bottom