Broken eggshell in vent. Please help!

Update on Beatrice - She still wasn’t acting herself yesterday so I decided to search her vent and I felt a broken piece of eggshell. I called all of our local vets and only one would see her but they couldn’t see her until today. I took her this morning and he was able to remove the piece of broken egg and another whole egg. He gave her an antibiotic shot so hopefully she’ll start acting herself soon. I’m going to give her another soak this afternoon to see if that helps her bottom feel better. Thank you so much for all of your replies!! I felt (and still feel) like a horrible chicken mom for not finding the problem sooner but hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out :)
Honey......are you kidding me?? You did MORE than a lot of chicken Moms could or would. Chickens are so adept to hiding problems. It’s not like she came up to you and told you. Good catch on your end.
Seriously we’re so happy she turned the corner is on her way to recovery. She’s adorable!
Beatrice has a great Mom!

I don’t think it will turn into peritonitis, but it could turn into salpingitis. Was there any blood? She may have scratched/cut herself internally and may need an antibiotic at some point. Right now I suspect she is sore, plus it probably drained her pushing out a cracked egg. Rest and TLC would be good right now.

So far I haven’t noticed any blood just a small amount yellowish white liquid.

Update on Beatrice - She still wasn’t acting herself yesterday so I decided to search her vent and I felt a broken piece of eggshell. I called all of our local vets and only one would see her but they couldn’t see her until today. I took her this morning and he was able to remove the piece of broken egg and another whole egg. He gave her an antibiotic shot so hopefully she’ll start acting herself soon. I’m going to give her another soak this afternoon to see if that helps her bottom feel better. Thank you so much for all of your replies!! I felt (and still feel) like a horrible chicken mom for not finding the problem sooner but hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out :)

You did a great job with immediately consulting a vet and seeking antibiotics because this probably saved your chicken. Chickens can get egg bound. You probably avoided a bad case of peritonitis by acting so quickly. Keep monitoring and if continues with problems, back to vet. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom