Broken glass thermometer

MtnCrewMax

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
Wondering what and if there's much to do after the chicks broke the glass thermometer in the brooder. The store sold us one and said to put it in the brooder to monitor temps, so we did.

The chicks broke it this morning, lesson learned there. Obviously we cleaned it up when we found it, not sure how long ago they broke it. I'm not sure if it was a typical mercury thermometer or something else, but if it was I am wondering what will unfold from here on out. Mercury poisoning to chickens, eggs, us, and so on...?

EDIT: Finally found somewhere that listed it as mercury free, so relieved there.

And better ideas for monitoring?

Last edited:
I rarely use a thermometer any more. If I have to use the heat lamp I watch the chicks for a while. If they scatter to the corners - too hot, if they all huddle underneath - too cold, dotted all over the place - just right! I prefer to use a heat plate now - adjustable will not start a fire and is the nearest thing to a broody hen.
BTW - welcome to the chicken addicts anonymous site!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. They don't put mercury in thermometers any more, so you are safe there. I would buy another thermometer. I have used inexpensive flat ones that get pooped on but keep on working, and I have used more expensive ones. If they have chick supplies and incubators out, they may have incubator thermomters (like the one in the middle below) for a few dollars. I have found a good selection of inexpensive ones at WalMart, but online you can buy some good ones with humidity readings for incubators. Here is a link: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incubator-thermometer-hygrometer.html

images
images

Thanks for the replies. It's in a cold garage but I'm running a heat mat under one quarter, (so to speak), with the heat lamp in the next quarter and the whole other half unheated. They wander all over and don't seem to congregate in any one area, although they do huddle a little when sleeping, on the edge of what I'd call the heats edge. So I figure the temp is fine overall. I may ditch the mat underneath though, we'll see.

I was told to decrease the temp about 5 degrees a week so I wanted to have a reference of temp so I could try to stick to that though. I might try my digital with remote sensor one next.

Thanks for the info and warm welcome. I assumed the worst when I thought about the possibility of mercury in with them!

Back
Top Bottom