Broken leg: Is there hope?

Hi experts.
This morning when I opened my coop, one of my chicks had a broken leg. Right above the wrist, both bones clean break.
Is there anything I can do? Can one splint fowl legs?
Thanks in advance.
The chick is almost 6 weeks old.
I'll tag @Kris5902 . I know she's done slings for some of her girls but I don't know enough to know if your girl is beyond hope or not. So sorry. :hugs

Yes, you can splint the leg. As long as it's set right away chances are really good that it will heal. A couple of Qtips trimmed to size to act as a brace to hold the bones in place should work along with some vetwrap and gauze. The sooner the better while everything still feels like it can be put together. You'll need to wire up something to support her weight and keep her from overworking her other leg for both day and night.

My favorite chick sling (below) of all time comes from someone else -please forgive my not having the name to credit at the top of my aging mind. Of course they shouldn't be in a sling 24/7.

From my broken chick leg experience, at night time he slept really well in a container full of crinkle paper (https://www.amazon.com/Crinkle-Fill...&keywords=krinkle+paper&qid=1603432064&sr=8-2) - Construction paper weight of paper because it supports their weight and keeps pressure off the bad leg if you kinda dig holes for their legs, then stack enough of it under their bodies so the legs aren't bearing the weight but it's still nice and snuggly. I think any gift wrap section should have it, I just linked to it for a visual reference.

1603431841298.png

Good grief! 😮 That's a little extreme. What's going on in your flock? Are you integrating ?
The chick's irises are forming. (Beautiful blue/green at the moment.) The mothers don't recognise them anymore! Chicks have big black eyes, no irises and are cute and fluffy, not real little chickens with feathers. They stop looking like chicks and the mums get confused and chase them, while calling to their "real" chicks. It's a bit heart-wrenching. The hens are also laying again. For which I am TRULY thankful.
I am a first time chicken mum and fell in at the deep end. But loving it. To see the whole life-cycle is wonderful. Also, the little ones are much tamer than my originals I got at 14 weeks and I'm reveling in it ✨ :love ✨

Yes, you can splint the leg. As long as it's set right away chances are really good that it will heal. A couple of Qtips trimmed to size to act as a brace to hold the bones in place should work along with some vetwrap and gauze. The sooner the better while everything still feels like it can be put together. You'll need to wire up something to support her weight and keep her from overworking her other leg for both day and night.

My favorite chick sling (below) of all time comes from someone else -please forgive my not having the name to credit at the top of my aging mind. Of course they shouldn't be in a sling 24/7.

From my broken chick leg experience, at night time he slept really well in a container full of crinkle paper (https://www.amazon.com/Crinkle-Fill...&keywords=krinkle+paper&qid=1603432064&sr=8-2) - Construction paper weight of paper because it supports their weight and keeps pressure off the bad leg if you kinda dig holes for their legs, then stack enough of it under their bodies so the legs aren't bearing the weight but it's still nice and snuggly. I think any gift wrap section should have it, I just linked to it for a visual reference.

View attachment 2383858
Thank you! I don't have crinkle paper, but cut grass and it seems to work out OK. I made a splint from cardboard (long life milk carton which is quite bendy). He is comfortable. The sling idea is fascinating, I'll give it a try, @Shezadandy

The chick's irises are forming. (Beautiful blue/green at the moment.) The mothers don't recognise them anymore! Chicks have big black eyes, no irises and are cute and fluffy, not real little chickens with feathers. They stop looking like chicks and the mums get confused and chase them, while calling to their "real" chicks. It's a bit heart-wrenching. The hens are also laying again. For which I am TRULY thankful.
I am a first time chicken mum and fell in at the deep end. But loving it. To see the whole life-cycle is wonderful. Also, the little ones are much tamer than my originals I got at 14 weeks and I'm reveling in it ✨ :love ✨
Fascinating...

I’ve only ever used a sling successfully with an adult chicken before, but that chick sling does look very functional. All my chick leg issues were slipped tendons I was not able to recover, but I have dealt with one adult leg break. It wasn’t perfectly set and she limped after it healed for the rest of her life but was happy and healthy until then. I hope things work out for your chick. Keep us updated!

sorry for the late reply... and I have to say, everything @Shezadandy said seems good to me. Look forward to hear how things turn out.

Back
Top Bottom