Broken leg on my duckling

Laurabenson25

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2017
hi there! I was wondering what I can do because I found a duckling outside of my home that has a broken leg and I don't know how to help it and my mom doesn't let me take it to the vet so I have to do it at home. It's leg is extended backwards and is curled up.. please help.. What can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_6861.JPG
    IMG_6861.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 16
@Laurabenson25 first off get the duckling off the slick paper it needs to have traction so what use it has of either legs it doesn't slip and make matters worse. Try an old clean towel they can be shook and washed and reused or the rubber shelf paper.

Is it a clean break and no bone showing through the skin? depending on where the break is you might be able to splint.
I am going to tag some who maybe able to give advise on that.
@casportpony
@Ravynscroft
@Amiga

@Laurabenson25 first off get the duckling off the slick paper it needs to have traction so what use it has of either legs it doesn't slip and make matters worse. Try an old clean towel they can be shook and washed and reused or the rubber shelf paper.

Is it a clean break and no bone showing through the skin? depending on where the break is you might be able to splint.
@casportpony
@Ravynscroft
@Amiga
I don't see any bone out. The duckling hatched yesterday I think and was under my doormat. It almost looks as if it was born this way? Is there any way to help it like that?

@casportpony
@Ravynscroft
@Amiga

X2

Also, can you get a clear pic of the leg showing the break? Are you certain it is broke? Am just checking, sometimes they can sprain themselves and the way they act may seem broken...

That is an adorable little duckling!

X2

Also, can you get a clear pic of the leg showing the break? Are you certain it is broke? Am just checking, sometimes they can sprain themselves and the way they act may seem broken...

That is an adorable little duckling!
Haha yeah it's adorable :) and here's its leg. It's been eating and throwing itself in a container of water I have inside the box.. so it's okay but I'm worried about the leg, it hops around and can't get far so I'm afraid to give it back to its mother.

Attachments

• IMG_6863.JPG
    IMG_6863.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom