Broken leg or slipped Tendon?

Tiffany42

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2017
Chapel Hill Nc
We have a beautiful Barred Rock hen that is only 11-12 weeks old. On Sunday our boys put our bigger hens to sleep for the night and a few hours later they started yelling which THEY never do. We went outside to check on the flock and found this sweet baby upside down stuck to the fence in the run? Nothing got into the run so I think she fell off the roost and being half asleep wasn't sure where she was. We brought her in and examined her and didn't find any major injuries thank god, However the feathers had been separated from the skin like when you cut up a fresh chicken or turkey. She was in shock and fell asleep we cleaned her up and let her rest for the night. In the morning she wasn't moving and sorta stiff. We thought she was dead but thankfully she was still breathing. I went to the feed store and got some iodine, needles, syringes, and penicillin slow acting just in case of infection because she smelled awful. She is getting her pep back very quickly and eating and drinking and pooing like crazy. However she is not really moving at all except one leg and her breast bones seem to be dis-formed maybe from laying so much or broken. I rotate her several times a day and have her laying down on a pillow the last couple days for extra cushion. She has lost a lot of weight and her bones are very noticeable and I am so worried she won't bounce back. Her leg that wasn't stuck in the fence is the one that I think may be slipped or broken. Her knee is very swollen so I won't attempt to move it back into place until that settles some with aspirin. I made a temporary sling out of an old bathing suit top but I am not sure if its in the right position. She seems to have a lot of weight on her legs and not sure that is best for her or not. I have attached some photos to show the legs. Any help would be so appreciated, I have only had her a few weeks and would be heartbroken if she passed.

Attachments

• IMG_3770[1].JPG
    IMG_3770[1].JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3771[1].JPG
    IMG_3771[1].JPG
    443.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3769[1].JPG
    IMG_3769[1].JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 10
These type of accidents can happen to chickens. She probably has sprained her leg. The sling may help with frequent breaks of rest and lying down to sleep at night. It might take several weeks for her to improve. Vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet can be crushed and some added to food daily. Make sure that she can get food and water while in the sling. Let us know how she gets along.

While she is in the Sling, Should her weight be slightly on her non injured leg or have the height where she can stand or some what be mid air if that makes sense? Yesterday was the first time I had her in the sling and she really enjoyed it. However it seemed like she had her weight on her good leg more than I likened. My hubby said it was fine and I was being paranoid haha. I just want her comfortable and relaxed. Thanks so much.

I am happy to say that my sweet Halo is back with her flock and the other hens are protective of her with the roosters. I am soooo Thankful for the feedback and her health.

She is slightly limping at times but she seems to be getting around good. Our roosters tried to show her who was boss today but her two sisters protected her from them and kept jumping in front her. She seems happy and content. I am still planning on having her rest during the day inside in the grate and at night until I know she's . I'm so happy for her.

Back
Top Bottom